PDA

View Full Version : First Impressions: Black Ops

Warin
11-09-2010, 01:03 AM
Ok... so I am not going to get the thing until tomorrow sometime... but since its now out on the east coast... how about some early impressions!

sully
11-09-2010, 07:14 AM
Sympathy for the Devil never sounded so good.

The game eclipses all expectation.

1million
11-09-2010, 10:42 AM
Still waiting on FedEx to drop my copy off from Amazon.

MidnightGhostGF
11-09-2010, 10:44 AM
Killing me Sully.... :lol:

Aronion
11-09-2010, 11:01 AM
Killing me Sully.... :lol:

He has to get his 'shots' in while he can. You can get even later. :p

klyde99
11-09-2010, 11:08 AM
Any word on if you have to complete the campaign to unlock zombie mode?

SnapperWhipper
11-09-2010, 11:19 AM
I don't have the game yet but still can't stop reading about it. Den Kirson already has weapon stats up: http://denkirson.xanga.com/735016527/black-ops/

- the starting MP5 and M16 look quite good
- M14 looks like the new go-to semi-auto AR
- M60 looks like a beast

Warin
11-09-2010, 12:14 PM
Woo! Zombie mode is enabled without finishing the campaign first. Just starting the campaign now...

Warin
11-09-2010, 12:37 PM
Ok... spoilers galore!

Not sure if I like the Assassin's Creed sort of memory mechanism to start the game... but I am definitely digging the style so far!

Bay of Pigs to start! Sweet! It's not WWII and it's not Dirkadirkastan! Cant wait to see where it goes from here.

HOLY COW! Veteran is some hard! And not W@W "constant tink of grenades landing around you" hard. Treyarch has, at least so far, come through. We'll see how it goes in later levels, but so far so good

CagedDepravity
11-09-2010, 12:58 PM
Please quit posting about how great this game is. I want to hear about the glitches, Timmies, cheaters, etc. so that I don't have to go buy a copy!!!!! :wink: :lol:

MidnightGhostGF
11-09-2010, 01:45 PM
Come on Caged.....you know you want to....everyone else is doing it...it will make you feel good... :lol: :lol: :lol:

Jameyt
11-09-2010, 01:51 PM
Can you buy the old Zombie maps or do you have to get the special edition?

All I really care about is Nazi Zombies.

DJ Gunner v2
11-09-2010, 01:53 PM
Please quit posting about how great this game is. I want to hear about the glitches, Timmies, cheaters, etc. so that I don't have to go buy a copy!!!!! :wink: :lol:

I had no intention of getting this game whatsoever, until a couple of my friends literally guilted me into it. I bought it an hour ago. I have no freaking clue how I'm going to have time to play this and still main Reach.

DJ Gunner v2
11-09-2010, 02:02 PM
Also, regarding glitches:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n85QmPAzWbY

infinite care packages. Now I feel like I just blew 65 bucks.

SmackEmYakEm
11-09-2010, 02:03 PM
I really like it a lot! But has anyone gotten callofduty.com to work? As of now that site is BALLS.

MidnightGhostGF
11-09-2010, 02:08 PM
I got into COD.com but when I went to the forum I got this:

Forums are temporarily offline for maintenance.

1million
11-09-2010, 02:09 PM
Whats a game without glitches and the people who must find them. Im sure there will be a update coming soon now. I already had to update as soon as I started.

MidnightGhostGF
11-09-2010, 02:18 PM

Like anything else, if I don't run into this crap in game then I'm happy to wait for it to get fixed. I played the crap out of MW2 and rarely saw any of the glitches from early in the game.

That said, if this is real, this is Treyarch's chance to step up. The silence from IW was deafening when it came to problems after release. If Treyarch steps up and takes care of problems then in the end it's not a big deal.

MidnightGhostGF
11-09-2010, 02:19 PM
Can you buy the old Zombie maps or do you have to get the special edition?

All I really care about is Nazi Zombies.

Based on what I've read, you can't buy them yet but you will be able to get them down the road.

Ross
11-09-2010, 02:20 PM

Thats nothing, this is really bad

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q0zVL8IRRvo

CagedDepravity
11-09-2010, 02:21 PM
Two ways they can handle it - patch/ban. The patch process takes a week or so (at best) due to how MS handles them. Maybe they should ban (or put the rumor out there that they will ban) anyone using the glitches. At least with the recording/playback feature it will be easy to prove.

CagedDepravity
11-09-2010, 02:23 PM
Thats nothing, this is really bad

:lol:

Shug1968
11-09-2010, 02:33 PM
Repost:

The game has a definate different feel. The maps seem pretty good and so far are confusing as hell. The maps are marked by grid so it has built in call outs. The map textures are very W@W which is no surprise.
The spawns seem god awful.
The new stuff is interesting. Having to buy everything from guns to attachments to titles... seems over done. The novelty will wear off quick. I may need to play with the sensitivity settings as I am having a tough time staying on target when they move. Game play had been pretty smooth overnight but seems a bit glitchy this afternoon. I have had issues connecting to games and I did freeze up a couple times.

Once I learn the maps, and we figure out how to play them things will be better I think. Ive only played Team Deathmatch. A couple rounds of zombies and no campaign. Hardcore unlocks at level 19 so I may be trying that out this evening.

AsphaltRanger
11-09-2010, 02:48 PM
So I picked it up today and have played a bit, man great game nice and fast paced. It also reminds me how much I sucked at FPS...I think my character has a free DLC for a bullseye that all the timmy's who skipped school could see :) if there is Geezer group playing tonight or this week please let me know...I would much rather play with GG then Timmies

sully
11-09-2010, 02:57 PM
Quick up-date.

Zombies open straight away.

Melee distance is worse than MW2. Been getting knifed from acreoss the streets !!!!!!!

SP was abit short; lots of flashbacks and video watching. But, really really good.

MP maps are huge!!

Weapons really are under powered till you get to level 20

Too many other things to name, but, dear god this could be a biggy

GerryAtrix
11-09-2010, 02:59 PM
My thoughts in no particular order:

1. Maps are well done as in previous Treyarch releases. I don't really notice the green/brown overkill as in WaW. The maps have many routes to any particular area, so locking down one side is going to be much harder than MW2. I don't have any I can single out as a poor map yet.

2. The MP5 feels to me a lot like the submachine gun in WaW that everyone used, only with higher fire rate...kind of jumps and bounces the same way.

3. Hit detection is slightly weaker than MW2 (at least in regular TDM), but better than WaW in my opinion. It leads to a few frustrating moments when it seems you van put a pound of lead in someone and they kill you first...but I think it is balanced pretty well. Run and gun is less likely to get you long kill streaks since there are so many side passages and paths in the maps. Once folks learn the maps, I expect a lot of camping in favorite lanes....

4. I was running a room of 6 Geezers and the lobby system broke us up a couple times as we entered games. Hard to tell if it is any improvement over MW2 yet.

5. You vote maps differently. I haven't fully absorbed it yet, but as the match counts down, it shows 2 maps and a "random" choice (just says "Random"). The lobby votes for one of the three choices and map with most votes is selected.

6. Buying options for your weapons and all the other items is overwhelming during between game times (at least for me). As you get promoted, you unlock more and more weapons and other items and it takes some serious time to consider what weapons to assign to what slot, perks, equipment, etc. This may be 2nd nature in a few weeks but for now it's hard to do this during active game time.

7. I still have not tried wager matches, only having done TDM but I have accumulated a fair amount of COD points to spend in the early going.

8. Oh yeah and for you claymore fans like me, you can get claymores as soon as you earn 2000 cod points. Once you buy them, you can equip them on all classes; However, it seems you can only deploy one at a time......but they seem to work better than in MW2 :twisted:

sully
11-09-2010, 03:00 PM
....and Scavenger Perk does not replenish your claymores.

MidnightGhostGF
11-09-2010, 03:27 PM
....and Scavenger Perk does not replenish your claymores.

Also doesn't replenish tubes, RPG's, etc.

1million
11-09-2010, 03:43 PM
I never had the chance to learn the maps in MW2 because I never had a dedicated team to play/practice with. Maybe one of these days I can game with some of you Geezers and you guys can show me the ropes.

UTWarden
11-09-2010, 03:57 PM

Warning HORRID music for 2 mins?!?!? really?

KrossMojination
11-09-2010, 04:23 PM
I never bothered even trying the care package glitch in MW2 because it sounded complicated. The video I saw of it in BO makes it look stupid easy. If they're going to make it that easy to break the game, hell I'm thinking about doing it myself.

Hardline Pro + SAM Turret + Care Package + Infinite Care Package Glitch = Game Over.

klyde99
11-09-2010, 04:39 PM
Video was removed. Does this mean it was successfully patched in the title update that went out? I'm still stuck at work and won't be online for quite some time. :evil:

SmackEmYakEm
11-09-2010, 04:52 PM
I do have to say out of all the COD's this is by far the hardest one on the Veteran setting. There are points that have seemed almost hopeless.

**EDIT**

Figured out the website issue, it seems as though it does not like Chrome. Works fine in IE.

Ross
11-09-2010, 05:40 PM
Woo! Zombie mode is enabled without finishing the campaign first. Just starting the campaign now...

Both maps?

Warin
11-09-2010, 05:48 PM
I uhhhh... never actually went into a game. I just checked that you could :D

I am getting my ass handed to me over and over and over in SP... on Veteran. It's like... wall of death.

Knight 3xi
11-09-2010, 05:55 PM
I'm really liking this game so far. I played around with the training games, and what a hoot! If it weren't for the fact that hardly anyone on my FL has the game yet, I wouldn't notice the difference between this and a live MM game. It was interesting to see peeps on the maps that don't even play the franchise. I played "gun game" in the wager matches and had a blast. I think this game will last if they keep up on any glitches someone might discover. I played the first few campaign levels, and it feels pretty epic - even more so than the MW games. I really like the styling of this game and the weapons feel and sound really good! One thing I did notice, grenades feel a little overpowered. Maybe once I use flak jacket, it won't be an issue. But sometimes it felt I was far enough away, and I'd still get killed.

x_The_Seeker_x
11-09-2010, 05:57 PM
Since I've got Fallout:New Vegas and Fable 3 I'm willing to wait until Thanksgiving for Black Ops. I will definitely get it, I just don't feel like I need it right now. Hopefully they'll work out any kinks in the game by then.

1million
11-09-2010, 07:21 PM
How many people here (if any) pre-ordered BO from Amazon? Im asking because I pre-ordered the HE from Amazon and got a BO Laser Cel. LE of 100,000. Its a framed poster. The size is 6"x8". Its in a plastic bag. Im just asking because its a nice little extra thing to have.

SmackEmYakEm
11-09-2010, 07:28 PM
Ok, how the hell do you know if your Live account is linked to your callofduty.com account? I clicked link account but that's it? How the hell does it know who I am?

KrossMojination
11-09-2010, 07:53 PM
How many people here (if any) pre-ordered BO from Amazon? Im asking because I pre-ordered the HE from Amazon and got a BO Laser Cel. LE of 100,000. Its a framed poster. The size is 6"x8". Its in a plastic bag. Im just asking because its a nice little extra thing to have.

Yeah me too, I got the Hardened Edition, my guess is it's in the hardened and prestige editions.

StratyMcStrat
11-09-2010, 11:28 PM
So after the first 30 minutes of multiplayer.... this might be the worst COD title yet. I don't get the high reviews for this game. I'm seriously consider trying to sell this.

L3gendcalledJim
11-09-2010, 11:49 PM
Why can't anyone make a good lobby system. I just played by myself after getting booted over and over again from a party. The graphics could be better. The spawning is terrible. The gameplay is good.

rpmdds
11-10-2010, 12:11 AM
Yeah me too, I got the Hardened Edition, my guess is it's in the hardened and prestige editions.

Not in the Canadian prestige edition. Limited edition COD medal is, along with the RC car (fun!)

Warin
11-10-2010, 12:30 AM
The spawns in the game are almost as bad as they are in MoH. :mad

I dont know what it is... I am starting to wonder if my meds have pretty much killed what little reflexes I had left. I cant freaking hit anything, I cant turn fast enough, I get shived all the time when I should have mowed the person down.

It sounds sort of pathetic but there have been a few points where I was almost on the verge of tears :P (stress, I suppose)

Luckily after being spanked by an entire geezer room, I dropped into a room full of timmies and won three in a row... and felt a little better.

SmackEmYakEm
11-10-2010, 07:04 AM
My frustration level is at it's peak with the campaign. This game is ridiculous on Veteran. Infinity Ward finally got rid of the issue where if you just stay in one spot the waves of enemies are endless, but Treyarch brings it right on back.

I'm at the part where you are up on a hill of sorts and the Viet Kong are coming up from the bottom. You "apparently" have to run to a gun bunker however that is nearly impossible. Two steps, DEAD. You can stay there and kill enemy after enemy but they never stop coming.

How the hell are you supposed to get by this??????

Played one MP match from what I seen its COD through and through. Some stupid spawns, annoying Timmies, but loads of fun.

DADDIO1963
11-10-2010, 07:18 AM
I am not sure why everyone is complaining on multiplayer lobby system. Yeah, we had drops, but could it be there was 28 million people online at the time?
Spawning sucks because everyone is running around like mad so there is no set spawn area. I just come into most spawns confused since I don't know the maps. But it was getting better last night after playing several times.
Maps are gorgeous and there is no main way of holding down anything. Bummer.. they must have designed against us Geezers!!!
Stabbing may be suspect but it may have been connections just like in MW2.
You have to be better at shooting in this game than MW2, no more "hit close" you have to be accurate. I think people just got used to the arcade version of COD in MW2 and expected it to be the same.
I like it so far.

Enteleki
11-10-2010, 08:14 AM
The first thing I tried was one of the new zombie levels, Kino der Toten. Unfortunately, I was only able to play it four or five times with my buddy Trigg, before we encountered major connection problems. This was at about 7:30 PM EST. We gave up trying to play and went into the campaign.

Kino der Toten is a rather large and complicated map. Like Der Riese, there are maps posted on the walls with lights signifying...something. You play as the same characters from the original zombie mode. All of the weapons available for purchase, that we discovered, are new ones. Again, I don't have much more to say since I only had four or five turns at it and only advanced to level 7. Yes, dogs at five. It's pretty much the same game, with new weapons, some interesting looking switch boxes (only found the main power switch once) and turrets. I found Speed Cola and Quick Revive. The box is available, but I only had the points to play it once--I got a Famas! Saw the laser pistol pop-up briefly as I played the box.

Kino der Toten was the only zombie map available at the start. I suppose I have to play through the campaign to get the map featuring Nixon and the gang. I'm racing through it right now on recruit.

The four bonus co-op maps, for purchasing the hardened edition or the prestige edition, are the zombie maps from W@W. I let them download overnight. I can't wait to get into Der Riese again and see what's going on.

klyde99
11-10-2010, 08:56 AM
So after the first 30 minutes of multiplayer.... this might be the worst COD title yet. I don't get the high reviews for this game. I'm seriously consider trying to sell this.

Hey Strat... just curios: what didn't you like?

I found that the change in the "feel" of the game after having played MW2 a lot is like going back to W@W as far as the game mechanics go. There were a few frustrating parts of feeling like I'm unloading a clip into someone, only to be taken down in three shots (or so it seemed) but I think it has a lot to do with where the shots land on the opponent. Like Daddio said, you have to be more accurate with this one. I also think it helps to run in a room with other Geezers. Sure, the Timmies are running around the maps, but even when we encountered that last night as long as we stuck together we held our own and prevented flanking and being shot repeatedly.

KrossMojination
11-10-2010, 09:00 AM
I love this game. I agree with Daddio, I think you're spot on.

Truthfully, I'm not sure what the issues w/ spawns are. I didn't really see anything too gross in my gametime. In fact I think the spawns are significantly better than in MW2. Well, OK I won't say they're better, I just think the maps are better and allow for you to actually have a choice in which direction you move after you spawn. Frankly, I'd rather get spawn killed once in a while then have to run for 5 minutes to get back into the action like Battlefield or MAG. You play CoD for the nonstop action, and it's comforting to know the spawn system supports that. :lol:

Pro-tip: SAM TURRETS FTW! Seriously, use them. It takes down enemy spy planes and choppers immediately and lasts a pretty good while.

TheSpungos
11-10-2010, 09:35 AM
The lobby system was pretty bad last night for a full team of 6. Had much better success with smaller teams. But it was the same way when MW2 dropped. It will probably get better over the coming weeks. At 11pm CST last night there were still more than 2.7MM people in playlists.

Mechanically, I agree with previous comments that it feels a lot more like the old games - MW & W@W - than it does like MW2. I ran into a lot of knifing issues last night - getting knifed by someone who appeared to be way to far away, insane reaction time, etc. I'm chalking that up at this point to connection speed and server lag right now. We'll see if it gets better or not. We will all have to learn to be more accurate, etc. There's no stopping power anymore, and in core games it definitely felt like it took more effort to bring someone down. I'll be interested to see how hardcore is - I haven't really cared for it in the last 2 iterations.

Really like the purchasing system to be able to get the perks/attachments you want when you want them.

So far having put only a couple hours into it, I like it.

TheSpungos
11-10-2010, 09:40 AM
Forgot to mention - L-O-V-E the new map voting system! Very nice feature.

GerryAtrix
11-10-2010, 09:44 AM
I love this game. I agree with Daddio, I think you're spot on.

Truthfully, I'm not sure what the issues w/ spawns are. I didn't really see anything too gross in my gametime. In fact I think the spawns are significantly better than in MW2. Well, OK I won't say they're better, I just think the maps are better and allow for you to actually have a choice in which direction you move after you spawn. Frankly, I'd rather get spawn killed once in a while then have to run for 5 minutes to get back into the action like Battlefield or MAG. You play CoD for the nonstop action, and it's comforting to know the spawn system supports that. :lol:

Pro-tip: SAM TURRETS FTW! Seriously, use them. It takes down enemy spy planes and choppers immediately and lasts a pretty good while.

I love this game but there are two MP areas I would criticize:

Lobby system - As someone else mentioned, I was on a lot yesterday form morning to evening and as the day progressed and more people entered the game, the servers seemed to overload. I was able to get in games with 6 Geezers, no problems until about mid afternoon. From this point on, several of us tried to make a 6-party entry into games and it would always dump us all out of the party, into the main menu. We split into two groups of three and were able to get into games. I'm sure this is temporary due to overwhelming numbrs of folks online, and will be fixed (hopefully?) soon.

Spawning - BO spawn system is annoying compared to MW2 in that the game tends to spawn enemies behind you, rather than in a certain area of the map dependent on being (more) controlled by each side. I was in a game on the mountain map, and was almost as far back to one side as you can get with several teammates, running my RC car (love those things!) when Timmies spawned EVEN FARTHER BACK and killed me mid-drive. I have lost several care packages because a "safe" area I thought was controlled by my team, was over-run because Timmies would spawn right on top of the package drop area. This also damps down on long kill streaks because you will soon be shot in the back no matter how you try to avoid it.

I think this is Treyarchs way of minimizing camping, since campers will soon be in the middle of 6 enemies. It is a different scheme and i think we can adapt but it requires differnt tactics than those used in MW2....locking down one side of the map is not going to happen in this game due to spawn system....

MidnightGhostGF
11-10-2010, 09:44 AM
I'll be interested to see how hardcore is - I haven't really cared for it in the last 2 iterations.

I only played a few HC matches last night but my initial reaction is that it's much closer to COD4 than it is to the last two game (I didn't like HC in the last two either). If my opinion holds than I can see much more HC in my future. Although for now, since I don't know the maps, I like having the mini-map on the screen so I'll probably stick to mostly soft-care.

SmackEmYakEm
11-10-2010, 10:06 AM
I am not holding grudge against dropping of games and or connection issues at this point. With the millions of people playing this and it only being day 1 this has to be expected. Now if this is still an issue a week or so from now then yes that is a problem.

Sheriff_Bullock
11-10-2010, 10:07 AM
I'm sure this is temporary due to overwhelming numbrs of folks online, and will be fixed (hopefully?) soon.

I got into three matches toward the end of the night, but this was after about fifty attempts to connect.

DADDIO1963
11-10-2010, 10:17 AM
Lobby Issues:
I think there was a slight update sometime in the middle of the evening that may have screwed with the lobby system. We kept getting "You have a newer update than the host, please have them restart...." Once everyone restarted and we loaded the crew back up, everything seemed to work fine for about 10-15 games in a row. (At one time I noticed there was slightly more than the 2.7mm online, I thought I saw 28+million on... maybe I was missing my comma placing in there, but it did look like 28 million... YIKES!")

Shug1968
11-10-2010, 10:26 AM
90% of the lobby issues I had were later in the day when the numbers climbed. It seemed tough to get a game started and a group to hold together.

I have thought and hoped that spawns are from more running around trying to learn the maps, and maybe that will prove out. But Nuketown is a small map with too few spawn points. I have spawned into a crowd of ememies and vice versa. Timmies try and get in a corner and spawn kill.
The same has happened on larger maps but to a lesser degree.

StratyMcStrat
11-10-2010, 11:12 AM
So after a couple more hours of multiplayer...

Pros:
Gameplay wise it's very solid. It's very much more like W@W as opposed to MW/MW2 which in my mind is a good thing. It really pays to play this game more tactically than running around like crazy. The customizations are very well done.

The only time I thought spawning was an issue is when there's an attack helicopter. There were a few times where I was mowed down repeatedly after spawning by the helicopter.

Cons:
The lobby system is awful and it doesn't have to do with millions of people online. It didn't help they updated the playlists right when everyone got on causing additional errors, but we constantly had issues last night. It took several tries to get people in the room, then it took several times to get matched up. During a game then it would crash with a connection error. One of the guys I was playing with got a dirty disc error four different times and it was installed on his hard drive. Another one got a blank screen for awhile. At one point we all just went back to the Xbox dashboard and reloaded the game. The lobby system is just poorly coded.

Graphically I'm undecided. There's times I think the maps have some cool elements (like the missile taking off) and other times it looks like an Xbox 1 game or Xbox 360 launch title.

To me the lobby system in excusable. I'm tired of paying $60 so I can be a beta tester.

CKWendel
11-10-2010, 11:35 AM
after playing mp tdm for 13-14 hours game time (real time 22 hours) here is what i got to say about the lobby system. 9 out of 10 times when i played i had no problem with the lobby. it loaded into matches quickly and for the most part i didn't experience any problems with dropping.

The time that i saw most of the problems with the lobby was later in the day, around 8-9pm cst. as daddio said we hit that problem with the host having a newer map version or w/e and once we restarted it was off we go. otherwise it would be the occasional drop of one member, or the host would get put into a game on there own dropping the rest of the team, this happened maybe 3 times during my marathon.

The lobby system is in a much better state than mw2 was at release.

PhazeZero
11-10-2010, 11:56 AM
If you have not tried the 'Decoy' equipment...you are missing out! The decoy grenade generates gunfire sounds, and shows up on your opponents mini map. Toss one of these into a corner and watch from cover...80% of the time, Timmy will come to investigate. 2 to the head, and no more Timmy!

Also good if you need to divert attention away from your location while you collect a Care Package.

Loving the game. Found that if I have lobby trouble, a 360 restart seems to resolve it. Have only done this twice.

Phaze

krieg87
11-10-2010, 12:37 PM
I have to say that I like this game a lot more than MW2. I like that you have to actually aim at the person to hit them. For the most part the hit boxes seem much smaller than MW2, this is a good thing. Attack chopper rocks (right now) because no one has figured out how to shoot it down (or don't care). I've called one of these in and gotten at least 10 kills with it. Maps are designed well and have many different elements to them (snipers, run and gun, etc). Everyone's play style was taken into account. LOVE customization. Being able to buy what gun I want and then tricking it out how I want is glorious. It's like Christmas morning.

Spawn system is suspect but as others have said this could be by the amount of people running around the maps as opposed to staying in an area. Overall a good edition to the Call of Duty franchise.

Oosik
11-10-2010, 01:14 PM
I'm surprised at the divide on this one. I played ~5 hours last night, and both my son and I really loved this game. Frankly, I have nothing to complain about.

1. Lobby system is much better than MW2 - I no longer need to scream "back, back, back" to get our team out of a game. It sounds like some of you were having connection issues which is different than a bad lobby.

2. Spawns seemed OK to me. I never even thought about it being bad. After playing Medal of Honor though, everything seems better.

3. Customization is fun - I really like the ability to unlock anything providing I have the $$.

4. Ability to do party chat is awesome.

I'll write more up when I get time, but overall, I think this game is really, really good.

DADDIO1963
11-10-2010, 01:17 PM
Love how if the party leader backs out of a room, EVERYONE backs out of a room... cool feature!

klyde99
11-10-2010, 01:20 PM
Love how if the party leader backs out of a room, EVERYONE backs out of a room... cool feature!

That was quite stellar! Also, permamute is back. Man, those could easily be in my top ten favorite things right now... :D

Admiral Trogdor
11-10-2010, 01:25 PM
I'm curious. I ended up being party leader last night. When I backed out, I had the option to take the party with me or to leave the party. When I chose "Leave the Party" did it assign a new party leader, or did it leave you free floating?

klyde99
11-10-2010, 01:27 PM
I think we were still in the group together (we were all highlighted blue) but I don't think that it assigned a new leader.

Sniper
11-10-2010, 01:41 PM
I'm not enjoying this as much as CoD4 or MW2 but it's not the game. I'm just not as good as the other two titles. I was consistently at the top on those two but on this I'm at or near the bottom. Again, I don't think it's the game or lobby or anything other than it's different and I'm not as good at it. I love the maps and graphics. Need to learn what kill streaks are the best. And I don't have a fall back "money" weapon I can go to. I'm hoping I get better when I learn the maps better and unlock all the guns to find the best one.

MidnightGhostGF
11-10-2010, 01:50 PM
@Sniper - I have a feeling you'll get the hang of it... :p :lol:

GerryAtrix
11-10-2010, 02:42 PM
Sniper, I'm sure you will be back in form once everything settles down. I still think the spawn system is keeping kill streaks down, but I agree with others that it may mostly be rushing from end to end which is exaggerating the spawn behind aspect.

I was never a top player in MW2 but I feel I am playing (k/d wise) at a level or two lower also. Once we get settled in with map familiarity, hit detection adjustment, good killstreak choices, comfortable weapons and perks, and a teamwork system we will feel in the groove again.

rpmdds
11-10-2010, 03:00 PM
Sniper, I'm sure you will be back in form once everything settles down. I still think the spawn system is keeping kill streaks down, but I agree with others that it may mostly be rushing from end to end which is exaggerating the spawn behind aspect.

I was never a top player in MW2 but I feel I am playing (k/d wise) at a level or two lower also. Once we get settled in with map familiarity, hit detection adjustment, good killstreak choices, comfortable weapons and perks, and a teamwork system we will feel in the groove again.

The running/gunning is a natural reaction to new maps. Get some miles in and explore the map while getting XP at the same time.

Funny thing Gerry, despite one game last night, my k/d was WAY better than any night in MW2. Probably because I was clipping the players running around ;)

CagedDepravity
11-10-2010, 04:45 PM
My frustration level is at it's peak with the campaign. This game is ridiculous on Veteran. Infinity Ward finally got rid of the issue where if you just stay in one spot the waves of enemies are endless, but Treyarch brings it right on back.

I'm at the part where you are up on a hill of sorts and the Viet Kong are coming up from the bottom. You "apparently" have to run to a gun bunker however that is nearly impossible. Two steps, DEAD. You can stay there and kill enemy after enemy but they never stop coming.

Played one MP match from what I seen its COD through and through. Some stupid spawns, annoying Timmies, but loads of fun.

To this day, finishing CoD2 on Veteran remains my most cherished achievement. I just finished Reach solo on Legendary this morning - it was tough in places, but not even in the same league as the endless waves of CoD2. i doubt I'll even try this one on Veteran.

klyde99
11-10-2010, 04:52 PM

I call total BS on this... any time I've been in the room with you in MW2, you had some insane k/d ratio like 22-2-1 or something like that. ;)

Yuk
11-10-2010, 07:49 PM
Played some MP last night. My thoughts so far:

1. The look of the game is slightly strange. Kind of cartoon-y (like rotoscoped). It's especially noticeable on Nuketown. It doesn't impact game play and I don't particularly care, but I prefer the more realistic look of the MW games.
2. The stats available to you are amazing, including a body heat-map of where you are shooting enemies. Mine has a huge red spot on the crotch. I guess I'm Butters from "The China Problem".
3. Ranking went fast enough, I got up to 21 or 22 in one night.
4. I unlocked Hardline Pro and rolled the dice 3 times on new care packages - all 3 times I got ammo. Damn.
5. Hearing an RC car near you and trying to shoot it in a panic is fun.
6. Have not been killed by a single noob tube.
7. I like being able to pick the attachments I want without having to grind for them.
8. I like having all perks available too.
9. I only bought 4 contracts, completed them all. Neato.
10. Steady Aim is overpowered - if you haven't tried hipfiring an MP5K with Steady Aim you're missing out.
11. In domination you don't hear "Losing A" nearly as much, and when you do it's too late. I don't like this change, especially coupled with the fact that the "flags" fade when you look at them anyway.
12. The maps seem smaller than the MW2 maps. Will take some getting used to.
13. I was the only person shooting down spy planes (you can use the launcher that is immediately available to do so).

14. I'm very disappointed with the sound in this game (I use headphones). My character sounds like he's running around with pots and pans hanging from him. But you cannot hear other people at all. Also, when you're getting shot it sounds like it's a silenced weapon, but the killcam shows it is a normal weapon (and also features the full gun sound), wtf is with that?

Random: I was killed by the launching rocket on whatever map that is (standing too close).

StratyMcStrat
11-10-2010, 07:52 PM
14. I'm very disappointed with the sound in this game (I use headphones). My character sounds like he's running around with pots and pans hanging from him. But you cannot hear other people at all. Also, when you're getting shot it sounds like it's a silenced weapon, but the killcam shows it is a normal weapon (and also features the full gun sound), wtf is with that?

Yeah, I've really noticed this, too. In every COD game, Halo game, Battlefield game, etc. I can always hear the footsteps of someone sneaking up on me, but not in Black Ops. For instance if I run through the snow I hear my footsteps, but not those of the enemy.

Warin
11-10-2010, 08:02 PM
6. Have not been killed by a single noob tube.

You obviously havent played against Daddio. :lol:

First thing this morning i figured out why last night was so miserable... I was on the verge of a fever. Woke up this morning feeling achey from head to toe, cough, fever, headache. I am not full of dayquil and feeling much better :)

DADDIO1963
11-10-2010, 08:26 PM
You obviously havent played against Daddio. :lol:

First thing this morning i figured out why last night was so miserable... I was on the verge of a fever. Woke up this morning feeling achey from head to toe, cough, fever, headache. I am not full of dayquil and feeling much better :)

Ouch, that hurt Warin... I was trying to get my contract fulfilled and you just happen to be the noob victim. Just call me Kobey!

By the way, should I rewind everyone about 20 months or so ago when MW2 hit the streets? This stuff is minor compared to the volumes of complaints on MW2.

On Yuk's issue on Nuclear. That is the way the Nuke site is supposed to be. Remember Raiders when they were on Nuke test site? Everything is in colorful 50s style. I still stand by saying the maps are great and varied. When did we start liking vast maps? Everytime MW2 came out with a big one, everyone voted to skip it (ie Fuel). I am finding I like BO ten times better than MW2 already and have only played it two days!

Raptor 61
11-10-2010, 09:50 PM

Did you hear the comment at the beginning about the barrels full of fuel? Go to a couple of them and stab them, and knock them down the hill.

Edit: Just saw you got the answer in another thread.

Pract1ce
11-11-2010, 02:29 AM
I've spent some time in the MP and the SP. I'm not a fan of the campaign. I'm always killing people wondering if I should move forward or just keep killing them over and over. Then I die and I have to start over from a far away checkpoint. Maybe it's just me but the good guys, the bad guys, and the civilians all sort of look the same from a distance and I'm never sure if I've got a kill or betraying my own guys.

The multiplayer though is a lot of fun. It's gun porn, really really well done gun porn.

Warin
11-11-2010, 04:02 AM
Heh. I think the funniest moment I've had so far is in multiplayer with the little RC car. I've been playing so much Bad Company 2 lately that my brain automatically assumes that the right trigger makes me go forward. Um, yeah. Good way to kill ones self. I did it three times before I got my fingers to not automatically mash the trigger as the thing spawns :D

Also, I am finding shoot down of air assets is a lot easier than in previous COD games. I just love the little "deedle-deedle-deedle" sound as I lock on :D

SmackEmYakEm
11-11-2010, 06:27 AM
Finally got past that part, without watching that video I never ever would have done that. The respawning enemies that actually show up in the same exact spot you just shot them in is so friggen frustrating. Even after finding out what to do, honestly getting past that is pure luck.

Finally played a ton of MP last night and I think it's great. I agree the issues here aren't as bad as when MW2 was released. We had a few party issues where someone would drop out or get a message of "Party No Longer Available" but we always ended up back in the lobby together and just searched all over again.

I like that it seems to be slowed down a bit from MW2, I also like how it takes some more skill now to actually shoot someone.

All in all I didn't want to stop playing but I saw it was 10:30 and I get up at 4 so I forced myself to bed. Damn that old age!!!!

SmackEmYakEm
11-11-2010, 09:39 AM
Anyone already know this, or am I late to the party?

on title screen u can break out of the restraints (hit triggers) walk over to the computer and type: doa (to unlock dead ops) or type: 3arc unlock(to unlock another zombie mode featuring jfk etc....)

StratyMcStrat
11-11-2010, 09:43 AM
Or you can type in zork to play the greatest video game of all time! It also unlocks an achievement.

SmackEmYakEm
11-11-2010, 09:56 AM
Or you can type in zork to play the greatest video game of all time! It also unlocks an achievement.

lol so I guess I am late to that party eh? Figures. Thanks Strat!

1million
11-11-2010, 11:02 AM
I knew about the Dead Ops. There are two achievements for getting out the torture chair and starting Dead Ops.

SmackEmYakEm
11-11-2010, 11:21 AM
I knew about the Dead Ops. There are two achievements for getting out the torture chair and starting Dead Ops.

And this is from the main menu?

EdieKaye
11-11-2010, 11:22 AM
You can type in dir to get a directory. You can also type in help to get the help files that tell you the commands.

EdieKaye
11-11-2010, 11:24 AM
Yes. As soon as you start you can look down and repeatedly pull the triggers to get out of the chair.

klyde99
11-11-2010, 11:25 AM

Yup.

Use the R-Stick to look down. Then use L & R-Triggers back and forth to break free. Then go over to the computer terminal (back-left of the room from the POV in the chair) and type in either DOA or Zork.

SmackEmYakEm
11-11-2010, 11:30 AM
Awesome. I kinda knew about this but I thought it was when you actually started the campaign. No wonder it didn't work!

1million
11-11-2010, 11:50 AM

Yes it is. Look down at your hands and tap the left and right triggers. It takes a few seconds and then turn to your left and go behind the chair and you'll see a computer on a small desk against the wall. Hold "X" to use the computer. Type the command and start the game. The game is really fun. You walk with the left stick and aim/shoot with the right joystick. RT is turbo speed, LT is some kind of bomb you can use.

Yuk
11-11-2010, 12:06 PM
On Yuk's issue on Nuclear. That is the way the Nuke site is supposed to be. Remember Raiders when they were on Nuke test site? Everything is in colorful 50s style.

I understand why Nuketown looks that way, I actually like it. My "issue" isn't with Nuketown itself. MW2 simply looked more realistic (I'm talking more about character and gun models than maps). Note: I don't really care, it's not a complaint per se, just a preference.

Enteleki
11-11-2010, 12:31 PM
I had a chance to look at one of the four bonus co-op maps that come with the Hardened and Prestige editions of BO. These are, as everyone knows, the four zombie maps from CoD:W@W.

I played a quick few rounds of Der Riese, solo, just to find out what has changed. To my surprise...nothing. It's the same Der Riese and most disappointingly the same weapons. Now, I only played three level and unlocked enough doors to get to the trench gun. I examined all of the guns on the wall and they were all the same as the original.

Has anyone played these maps? Can you confirm that they are exactly the same as the W@W maps?

If these are straight-up clones, just the new graphics and sounds, then I'm feeling ripped-off. What did I pay extra for, that stupid medal? I'm going to tack it to somebody's ass if I find out I wasted my money buying an upgraded edition.

klyde99
11-11-2010, 12:49 PM
If these are straight-up clones, just the new graphics and sounds, then I'm feeling ripped-off. What did I pay extra for, that stupid medal? I'm going to tack it to somebody's ass if I find out I wasted my money buying an upgraded edition.

I haven't played them yet, but I we paid for the "privilege" of playing these maps within the Black Ops game, which is on par with the remake maps on MW2 map packs earlier this year. :|

rev
11-11-2010, 12:59 PM
So I finally unlocked the M60.....love this gun. Sounds awesome and kils with three solid hits in regular TDM. Also Played a little hardcore and I think that using the silencer barely detracts from the range of the weapon. Used the AK74 and was killing peeps from a good distance. I love the Jammer (still want to know what this does to the enemy radar/equipment) and the decoy grenade.

The personalization is way overwhelming and nearly impossible to do between games without backing out of the lobby.

Zombies is VERY hard, so if you were a fan of it in W@W you will love it here. Not sure of the weapons though. There was some giant megaphone looking gun in the box. And I think the starting pistol is better than the smg's off of the wall. Can't wait to try this out with some geezers. Randoms just don't sem willing to work as a team.

klyde99
11-11-2010, 01:04 PM
Can't wait to try this out with some geezers. Randoms just don't sem willing to work as a team.

I didn't get much Zombie action in W@W, so I'm up for some awesome all-Geezer rooms! BTW, do you earn COD points for Zombie mode?

rev
11-11-2010, 01:10 PM
I didn't get much Zombie action in W@W, so I'm up for some awesome all-Geezer rooms! BTW, do you earn COD points for Zombie mode?

That is the one thing I wish happened in W@W. Not at the same rate mind you, but maybe 1 pt per kill and 2 pts for a headshot. Or maybe a percentage of your total score? That would be awesome because it is not as easy as you might think

Enteleki
11-11-2010, 01:33 PM
There was some giant megaphone looking gun in the box.

I think that's the Thundergun.

It shoots a vortex of compressed air that splatters or knocks zombies accross the room. Two shots per load, no reload until both shots fired, 14 shots total when full (2 loaded, 12 carried), quick reload time.

Line them up and mash them all!

Fun stuff.

Hey, how about those stinkies?

CKWendel
11-11-2010, 03:35 PM
I unlocked the ak47 last night... It is 100% better than it was in mw2. it is now my primary gun. there is a little bounce to it but not much pull when firing.

Aronion
11-11-2010, 09:32 PM
I played some Zombies yesterday morning, solo, on Kino der Toten and made it to level 4. I then got in with Apple, Red and Tool. We then could only make it to level 7. Those friggin' Hell Hounds are tough cookies.

ortho4
11-12-2010, 09:25 AM
I've noticed that the care packages now disappear if you leave them long enough. Dropped on on a roof of course. SOH isn't much help with the Olympia still slow to load. Been using claymores against RCV's picking up lots of road rage metals. I need to get higher rank to get a good full auto like the famas. Played split screen w/ my son that was a lot of fun but I wonder if it didn't yellow bar us, some games lagged really bad so we quit out. Anyone know why some people in lobby have a red bar across their name? Does that mean they have host?

Shug1968
11-12-2010, 09:34 AM
IAnyone know why some people in lobby have a red bar across their name? Does that mean they have host?

After you play a game the game names a player as your nemesis. That player is highlighted in red.

ortho4
11-12-2010, 09:56 AM
After you play a game the game names a player as your nemesis. That player is highlighted in red.

OIC So it highlights the defecator on the other team interesting. I tried getting on top of a vehicle thinking the dogs couldn't get me up there....I was wrong

Knight 3xi
11-12-2010, 09:59 AM
OIC So it highlights the defecator on the other team interesting. I tried getting on top of a vehicle thinking the dogs couldn't get me up there....I was wrongCan you shoot/kill the dogs? I haven't seen them yet... I've tried to shoot the RC car thingy, but couldn't destroy it.

TheSpungos
11-12-2010, 10:00 AM
Can you shoot/kill the dogs? I haven't seen them yet... I've tried to shoot the RC car thingy, but couldn't destroy it.

Yes - you can shoot or knife the dogs to kill them. They will also die if they run into a claymore, etc. But they seem much faster than the WaW version, and much harder to hit!

BigAppleBag
11-12-2010, 10:03 AM
You can also shoot the car. I can just imagine the Timmy's cry when you blow up their toy.

ortho4
11-12-2010, 10:09 AM
I got 2 road rages last night in one game using claymores against the RCVs

Ross
11-12-2010, 12:36 PM
Has anyone played these maps? Can you confirm that they are exactly the same as the W@W maps?

I did a quick run through of the very first map, and yes it is the same weapons on the wall. But, it is updated with the characters (the funny guys from the 3rd and 4th maps) and the weapon box has newer weapons.

GerryAtrix
11-13-2010, 09:40 AM
You can also shoot the car. I can just imagine the Timmy's cry when you blow up their toy.

It's also fun to take out Timmy's RC with your own....I've done this a couple times and you don't get a kill but you do get 100 points.

Prior to BO release, I was skeptical of the RC car....it seemed a little cartoonish and not really a fit with the idea of CoD, but I have to say the thing is awesome! I just can't remove it from my kill streak list yet. Running Hardline on one of my classes and will get this thing every two kills. The only problem is finding a good hiding spot to run it......

FUSE
11-13-2010, 10:22 AM
Just to give my 2 cents. For me, this game is a home run. Absolutely fantastic, I love it. Not a thing I don't like about it other than the crappy match making. I remember I litterally quit playing W@W one night after I spent about 30 minutes trying to get in a game with a group of Geezers. I see this game has the same issues, something with Treyarch. I hope they fix that, it would be a shame to quit playing a game all because the developers couldn't figure out how to start the game with reliability.

The RC XD is awesome!

x_The_Seeker_x
11-13-2010, 06:31 PM
Just to give my 2 cents. For me, this game is a home run. Absolutely fantastic, I love it. Not a thing I don't like about it other than the crappy match making. I remember I litterally quit playing W@W one night after I spent about 30 minutes trying to get in a game with a group of Geezers. I see this game has the same issues, something with Treyarch. I hope they fix that, it would be a shame to quit playing a game all because the developers couldn't figure out how to start the game with reliability.

The RC XD is awesome!
They claim on their website that it's an issue they're currently working on.

Shug1968
11-14-2010, 01:16 PM
The match makin is real bad. It makes it too frustrating after spending 30 mins to get a game going.

I am also highly irritated with the spawns. I dont recall having anythink this when MW2 came out and the maps were being learned.

StratyMcStrat
11-14-2010, 01:51 PM
I've been half tempted to just trade my copy in for another Kinect game for the kids. Other than the first two days after release I haven't gone back to it.

SmackEmYakEm
11-15-2010, 06:59 AM
I have played quite a bit with friends and done a whole lotta match making on my own with free for all and have not had any issues. But I have read numerous accounts of issues which of like being stated here. I have to wonder if it is based on where you are located?

BigAppleBag
11-15-2010, 08:43 AM
I do think the geographic make up of your party can have an effect on the match making, but it's horrendous for the most part. Usually after 2 or 3 attempts, we'll get a group of 6 into a game. 9 times out of ten we lay a beat down on the other team and there is a mass exit following the game. For what ever reason we will sit in that lobby waiting for 4-6 players to jump in and it just doesn't happen. So we have to back out and start all over. Last night I played for a little over two hours and we MIGHT have gotten 6 games in. That's at least half the time waiting for lobbies or games to start which is completely unacceptable.

Mw2 had a couple of glitches that basically didn't affect me. The javelin glitch was almost useless. The CP glitch was a pain, but working as a team it was pretty easy to overcome. Most of all though, we were playing, which is kind of the point, right?

klyde99
11-15-2010, 09:30 AM
Exactly. At least we were able to get into games regularly to experience the glitches. No real glitches (that we know of yet) but the inability to get into games is entirely the most frustrating. Banshee suggested to run the Combat Mode Training for a bit until they get the servers fixed, which may not be a bad idea to at least get some play time in to learn the maps.

rev
11-15-2010, 10:21 AM
So I ran into an isue with the voting system.....not really an issue I suppose, but something that is anoying. As soon as Nuke Town pops up for a match, no body ever leaves taht map. They just keep voting for it. Played about 5 games this AM and all of them were on Nuke Town.

And the shotguns.....holy frozen poop on a stick do they ahve a HUGE killing range. One shot killed from distance where it takes my AR or LMG 3 to 5 hits.....that needs to get fixed. And the auto shotguns seem way too overpowering especially when dual wielded

The only other thing I noticed since I play in the AM more than any other time now adays (7 AM CST to about 830 AM CST) I get alot of european players and so my lag is pretty noticeable. I will die and then see a guy come around the corner. But I expect that because of who I am gaming ith.

Knight 3xi
11-15-2010, 10:36 AM
Matchmaking for me, has only been a problem when I'm in a party. If the group I was with was not in private party mode, the MM was okay. Since MW2 didn't allow for private parties, it's hard to really compare it. If I'm playing w/ randoms, I've had no issues with MM other than occasional lag. So it seems to me 3arc didn't fully work out the issues with private party modes. I hope they work on it!

Dr Zork
11-15-2010, 11:05 AM
On a whim, I popped into one of the few remaining Blockbusters where I live (first time I had been in a BB in 2+ years) and they actually had a copy of BO so I rented it. Played a few hours and my impression was "same 'ol, same 'ol". I do like the credit system for unlock weapons and stuff but in terms of gameplay if you like previous CODs, you'll like this, if you didn't, you won't. I do love how they made knife kills in this game even more ridiculous than in previous games. Every game I played had someone running around just knifing people and they were usually at the top of the leaderboard. The kill zone for knifing is ridiculous, basically they just have to be in your vicinity. My favorite moment was when I was knifed and I was nowhere to be seen in the guy's killcam. Yeah, it's going back to BB today. :P

Bovine
11-15-2010, 11:14 AM
Alright... so I was going to wait, but didn't. I picked this up yesterday. Played the campaign for a bit (Veteran is gamer rage difficult). Zombie mode is meh (I am a zombie fanatic, but wasn't thrilled with W@W zombie mode either). Only played 3 or 4 games of multi because that was all that we were able to get into. Not stellar and the whole lobby issues need to get fixed. I am not going to abandon the multi though because I do believe it is something they will eventually fix. So disappointed a bit, but won't admit that to the wife because I bugged her a lot to get it... lol.

SmackEmYakEm
11-15-2010, 11:38 AM
My favorite moment was when I was knifed and I was nowhere to be seen in the guy's killcam.

I agree this is really bad. 4 games last night had a final kill cam just as you described. There was blood flying around but no victim on the screen.

DADDIO1963
11-15-2010, 04:32 PM
I agree this is really bad. 4 games last night had a final kill cam just as you described. There was blood flying around but no victim on the screen.
I have yet to run into this issue. I still thought MW2 is by far worse on the knifing. Have seen some odd knifings here or there but that person had 4 bars to my 2... We had one guy in a game knifing and we just went into shotgun and tube mode. Took care of him.

Connections, I am wondering if we are mixing "group" searches. I found the default/locale/locale only option. Wonder if we are mixing groups and it is messing with the formations? Just wondering.

Stumanji
01-24-2011, 05:45 PM
Two months later...

So, I just got the game. I hadn't played it at all, just saw some stuff online and the multiplayer looked enough like MW2 that I was willing to pick it up... when I got the cash. Which was last week. :-)

I've played for a week, got up to 36 in online ranking and I'm ready to vent.

1) Last Stand is RIDICULOUS in BlOps. It's easy enough (usually) to tell when someone is going down to Last Stand, but sometimes your last bullet will be the one that drops them. Then they'll pull out Francisco Scaramanga's Golden Gun and pop you with one or two shots. Seriously, where's THAT pistol when you're running around the map?

2) Cannot stand the Pray-&-Spray players in this game. I like the M14 and the FN FAL; single shot rifles make me feel like I have a bit more control. But when I get three or four hit markers on a guy and he sprays his gun at me like it's a fire hose, bullets going all over the place, and he gets me with TWO hits, I feel cheated.

3) Hate how unpredictable the kills are in this game. Some take one or two shots (it seems) and others take a full magazine and a reload to do the trick. I've hit one guy with FOUR shotgun blasts and still lost that battle. Ugh. GameRage.ControllerThrow(); Further, I feel helpless when I get the jump on someone and my bullets seem to do very little damage.

4) Treyarch, I have one question: Why even give us a knife? The thing is pretty much useless. I've whiffed from an arms length on a non-moving target (he turned around and shot me). I know, the knife in MW2 was a bit extreme. The lunge was ridiculous at times, especially with the right class set-up. But, let's look at this realistically: If you have a knife and your target is 5 feet away, you are going to lunge at him. If he moves, you are going to be able to track him instinctively (unless you're blinded). So having a lunge + target track on the knife is actually CORRECT. You didn't have to make the tracking or the lunge as strong as MW2, but removing it completely turned close-quarters battles into hilarious bullet-spraying encounters because no one wants to risk a knife attempt.

5) Holy balls, someone fixed the Noob Tube? It's not nearly as annoying as it was in MW2. Gotta love it.

6) Shotguns are fun to use, especially that Olympia. I wasn't a shotgun guy in MW2.

7) Buying your guns, attachments and equipment as you see fit is much better than the challenge system from MW2. Having to get 25 kills with this, then 25 kills with this, then 25 kills with this, to get something you really wanted was a pain in the ass.

8) Campers. Still hate 'em. Don't understand 'em. Can't be one of 'em.

9) Love the logo system, but lack the patience to actually do anything clever.

10) Killstreaks are a big improvement over MW2 from my point of view. They don't seem to be a game-ender like they were in MW2. I don't feel like "Okay, we've lost" when I hear "Enemy _____ inbound. Enemy ______ spotted. Enemy _____ in your area." They seem to be minor influences instead of game changers. Attack Dogs is just awesome.

Dozen
01-24-2011, 06:16 PM
Last stand is especially irritating when you hit them with 3 or 4 bullets (including the hit markers) as they fall, and they're still alive and have time to pop off a shot to kill you. It's not enough that they survive what would kill anyone else, but as long as they're nor actually on the ground, your bullets don't finish them.

Aim assist is wonky at best. Too many times I know an enemy is right around the corner and I'm waiting in ADS for them to show up so I can hit them before they have time to react, and my sight moves AWAY from them automatically as they come out.

And the fact that headshots aren't one-hit-kills with anything but a sniper rifle just gets to me. Even with an M60, point blank, it takes two bullets to the head to kill someone.

I agree that killstreaks are quite an improvement over previous COD games. COD4 was a particularly bad offender. I found myself committing suicide after 7 kills so that my chopper would rack up a brand new killstreak for me. Fortunately they also fixed the issue with sentry guns and SAM turrets being changed by Hardline Pro.

I've been enjoying the game since mid-November, but lately my friends are playing other games and it's just not nearly as fun when you're playing with strangers.

GerryAtrix
01-25-2011, 11:08 AM
Hi Stumanji,

Good to see some fresh perspectives on B.O. from someone just getting into the game. On single shot weapons being useless, this is Treyarch's modus operendi (hope I got that Latin or whatever it is right). If you play their WW2 version of CoD World at War, you will find the Kar and M4 carbine rifles just as useless as FAL and M14 are in Black Ops. If you want to experience these single shot weapons properly you need to play the hardcore game type where they are more than adequate.

Being a well seasoned player (5th prestige now), I have learned somewhat how you get around the "last stand" annoyance of needing more than a full clip to down someone with last stand... I try not to stand in place as I reload but search for cover first. Then I reload and pop out to finish them. I lose some kills and get assists many times but it is less annoying than dying to an encounter you clearly won. That being said, I still die too often from a single pistol shot instantly fired by the last stander as they go down....I guess it just needs to be accepted.

Two things which help immensely in this game: First is to "wiggle" side to side, or slide to one side as you fire. This throws off the aim down sighters and makes it difficult to hit you. It takes some practice to keep your aim on while wiggling or sliding but it pays off once mastered. Second is to hip fire in close encounters. Forget aim down sight and just spray from the hip. It saves that half second it takes to ADS and the "sticky aim" (auto aim assist) doesn't come into play as far as I can tell so you don't get the pull if more than one enemy is close together.

Lastly Auto aim assist can be your friend. It is useful to ADS and move your gun across smoke and gas or cover. The auto aim will "stick" and crosshairs will turn red if enemy is in smoke or deep cover, telling you their approximate location to fire blindly at :lol:

The kill streaks are well balanced in Black Ops I think. The only over powering situation is when someone runs dogs and chopper gunner in their kill streaks. Calling in dogs first, then a 'gunner is game changing....15 or 20+ kills can be had with little or no chance of response from the other team. Of course only elite players get enough kills for this combo regularly but it is brutally effective.

drab_trousers
01-25-2011, 12:35 PM
Another fun thing to do to people in last stand is to toss a flashbang on them. I think I enjoy that more than putting the finishing bullet into them.

Darth
01-26-2011, 02:59 PM
The one thing I have notice as I have gotten both my Last Stand Pros was I was firing as I switched to last stand. After you are dropped you are invulnerable for a half-second...but I was still firing my gun and got head-shots with my M16 after going into last stand and pulling out my pistol. Just a little un-balanced...but there you have it...

Stumanji
01-26-2011, 07:40 PM
Another fun thing to do to people in last stand is to toss a flashbang on them. I think I enjoy that more than putting the finishing bullet into them.

What I *like* to do (not saying I'm always successful) is hit them with a tomahawk. :-)

rev
01-27-2011, 11:01 AM
I hate last stand. But I have gotten into the habit of following a kill all the way to the ground and I never stop firing

MidnightGhostGF
01-27-2011, 11:06 AM
If you really like the semi-auto guns you should try hardcore, most of the semi-auto guns are 1-2 shot kills (mostly one shot) in that game mode.

Burt0n76
01-27-2011, 11:38 AM
I hate last stand. But I have gotten into the habit of following a kill all the way to the ground and I never stop firing

Looks like they made some changes to last stand with today's title update (http://www.callofduty.com/board/viewtopic.php?f=73&t=313362)

• Second Chance – players that put an enemy into Second Chance are now credited for a full kill once that enemy dies. If another player kills the enemy while the enemy is in Second Chance, they will get assist credit.

DADDIO1963
01-27-2011, 12:09 PM
Love that they keep fixing stuff... kudos treyarch!

klyde99
01-27-2011, 12:28 PM
I still wished they fixed the second of invulnerability with Last Stand. Although I've found that strafing helps some when you down an enemy and keep the finger on the trigger (as Gerry suggested).

Adjustments to the PSG1 with attachments.
AK74U adjustments.
RCXD adjustments.

I wonder what these are exactly?

drab_trousers
01-27-2011, 12:48 PM
From what I have seen:
PSCG1 was boosted up a bit to give better damage multipliers.
The AK74U with the grip attachment had the re-centering speed adjusted. It was slowed down so that there is actual recoil now.
The RCXD had its damage reduced.

Bovine
01-27-2011, 02:01 PM

I think this is fair since it only takes 3 kills to aquire it. I have felt since this game was released that the RCXD should require more kills to get. 6 or 7.

drab_trousers
01-27-2011, 02:47 PM
I think this is fair since it only takes 3 kills to aquire it. I have felt since this game was released that the RCXD should require more kills to get. 6 or 7.

I hate getting blown up by it but it also makes me happy because that means there will be one less enemy spyplane.

Shug1968
01-27-2011, 02:57 PM
I use Second Chance quite a bit, and have used it quite awhile. I don’t think I get a big advantage. I seem to have no shot to get off a shot more often than not. Yes I have killed the person who put me into last stand, but its usually because they were close to being put down when I went down. I have also had the pleasure of knifing Timmys who want to try and get cute with finishing me off.
The biggest benefit is with the Pro version you can be revived. This happens due to being dropped from long range, or another team mate was shooting at the hostile at the same time. It’s a team benefit in that the other team does not score a kill, but very often the reviver is killed in making the effort. I have been told ‘That’s the last time I try saving you!’
I have not been dropped by a last stander too often.
The change of scoring who gets the kill is fair.

MidnightGhostGF
01-27-2011, 05:21 PM
Love that they keep fixing stuff... kudos treyarch!

They definitely deserve props for their continued support after release.

clueman3210
01-31-2011, 02:47 PM
From what I have seen:
PSCG1 was boosted up a bit to give better damage multipliers.
The AK74U with the grip attachment had the re-centering speed adjusted. It was slowed down so that there is actual recoil now.

I like to run the RCXD right up behind/butt of the player then trigger. Enemy RCXD in your area. Talk about pain in the ass.

Stumanji
02-03-2011, 03:38 PM
Has anyone noticed how bad "Nemesis" screws up in the After Action Report?

I just had a great game against a great opponent (AlbinoRhino, if I remember correctly) and we were constantly going at each other. I finished 22-11 and he finished 26-12. I killed him 6 times and he killed me 6 times. Then, I get into the After Action Report and he's listed as my nemesis: Killed: 0, Killed By: 6.

What?? Way to cheapen an awesome match, Treyarch.

DADDIO1963
02-03-2011, 05:07 PM
Has anyone noticed how bad "Nemesis" screws up in the After Action Report?

I just had a great game against a great opponent (AlbinoRhino, if I remember correctly) and we were constantly going at each other. I finished 22-11 and he finished 26-12. I killed him 6 times and he killed me 6 times. Then, I get into the After Action Report and he's listed as my nemesis: Killed: 0, Killed By: 6.

What?? Way to cheapen an awesome match, Treyarch.

And that cheapened the match how???

klyde99
02-03-2011, 09:58 PM
We noticed it a while back as well when we had an almost all-Geezer room. Folks in the lobby were noticing that the kills/killed by numbers don't match at all, just like your's Stu.

x_The_Seeker_x
02-03-2011, 10:21 PM
I had a nemesis report that was zero kills and zero deaths. WTF? I had to have killed the rest of his team at least twice each and they give me the one player I didn't even run into.

MidnightGhostGF
02-04-2011, 09:02 PM
I had a nemesis report that was zero kills and zero deaths. WTF? I had to have killed the rest of his team at least twice each and they give me the one player I didn't even run into.

Usually zeros on both sides means that the other player bailed before the game ended.

A Mad Bloke
02-10-2011, 01:47 AM
We noticed it a while back as well when we had an almost all-Geezer room. Folks in the lobby were noticing that the kills/killed by numbers don't match at all, just like your's Stu.

Pretty strange how the game can render HD graphics, actively track projectiles, player movement, even simulate weather. But it can't add up the correct kill counts when it comes to nemesis' activity. I consistently see 0 counts when there were multiple kills or deaths.

LouisQCI
02-11-2011, 03:18 PM
The stats on games played by type is also a bit suspect. I routinely play a quite a few games of HCTDM and in the lobbyleader board I am always told that I have played too few games to be ranked. (supposed to show after 5 in a week but not for me)

UTWarden
06-06-2011, 11:01 AM
I finished this the other day......I enjoyed this alot short of a few small issues, I found the friendly AI usually took the prime cover spots leading me to look for some other place.. and the cutscenes to tell the story were too frequent breaking up the gameplay into too small chunks, if you want to see what I mean play CoD 2.

I will probably revisit this again, the end sequence of the game was freakin ace, and not the zombies part.