PDA

View Full Version : Questions about Forge Map and Custom Gametypes

EmptyBag
09-19-2010, 02:49 PM
We can talk about the nuances of Forge and how to tweak those custom game types.

Furgus
09-19-2010, 03:02 PM
About Geordi?http://blog.nola.com/star-trek_impact/2009/04/medium_trek-dream-team-geordi.jpg

EmptyBag
09-19-2010, 03:03 PM
I should have seen that coming.

Furgus
09-19-2010, 05:27 PM
You shouldn't make fun of his handicap.... :)

EmptyBag
09-20-2010, 07:50 AM
You shouldn't make fun of his handicap.... :)

:lol

Jameyt
09-20-2010, 02:36 PM
I've got an Invasion test map and Invasion Test gametype in my File share. Feel free to test them out.

EmptyBag
09-20-2010, 04:12 PM
Adding this here.

Found this great article over on bungie.net about what you need to get game specifics items to work, such as king of the hill, head hunter, etc...

The Following is from: http://www.bungie.net/Forums/posts.aspx?postID=49035808&postRepeater1-p=1

Here's a quick-and dirty guide to the labels you can use in forge to set up gametypes. For items marked REQUIRED, you need to have at least one placed on the map to avoid the "map and gametype incompatible" message; but note that you might actually need more than one or need to set them for specific teams in order for the gametype to actually work.

Object labels
There are no gametype-specific objects anymore like there was in Halo 3. Instead, we have labels that you can assign to ANY object to make it recognized by the game engine.
First, you must select the gametype you want to edit in the forge lobby. The default is "basic editing" which will allow you to view and remove labels from objects, but not add new ones.
You set a label on an object in the Advanced tab of the object properties (press X when holding or highlighting and object)

Safe/Kill Volumes
First, the absolutes:
Kill volumes have highest priority. If you enter an immediate kill volume (that is, not the soft kind) then you are dead. If you enter a soft kill volume, then you are "out of bounds." Being out of bounds starts your ten-second countdown for you to get back in bounds.

Safe volumes are the opposite. If at least one safe volume is on the map, then you are in trouble if you are not inside at least one of them. If any of the safe volumes are immediate, then you will die as soon as you are not inside a safe volume. If all of the safe volumes are "soft," then you are out of bounds and your timer will count down.

Typically you want to make one large soft safe volume over the playable area of your map, and then fill in trouble spots with soft kill volumes. And if you have some kind of falling-to-death area, cover that with an immediate kill volume.

General
"team_only" - these objects will not spawn in a FFA game
"ffa_only" - these objects will not spawn in a team game

Each gametype supplies a label that can be used in conjunction with the "gametype-specific" setting that you can use to make any object only appear in a specific gametype. This label is typically the same as the name of the gametype (e.g. "ctf" or "headhunter").

Generally things you label should also have the "gametype-specific" flag set on them, otherwise they will spawn in other gametypes too!

Assault
"as_bomb" - REQUIRED - bomb spawns here (team-specific, can be neutral)
"as_goal" - REQUIRED - plant bomb here (team-specific, can't be neutral)
"as_res_zone" - respawn zone (influencer) which is active when your team's bomb is not planted
"as_res_zone_away" - respawn zone (influencer) which is active when your team's bomb is planted
Note that you CANNOT plant a bomb on the as_goal object if the team that owns that goal is not active in the game (has at least one player).

CTF
"ctf_flag_return" - REQUIRED - flag spawn point and return point (team specific)
"ctf_res_zone" - respawn zone which is active when your team's flag is at home
"ctf_res_zone_away" - respawn zone which is active whne your team's flag is not at home
Note that flags will not spawn for teams that are not active in the game (have at least one player).

NOTE on respawn zone labels in Assault and CTF - these only work as intended when applied to one of the respawn zone objects. But objects with these labels are always turned invincible and can never be picked up (if they are weapons).

Headhunter
"hh_drop_point" - REQUIRED - a place where you can drop skulls

Infection
"inf_spawn" - nothing special (we used this to distinguish spawn points that are infection-specific)
"inf_haven" - REQUIRED - a safe haven.
Note that humans spawn at "red team" spawn points and zombies spawn at "blue team" spawn points.

Juggernaut
nothing special

King of the Hill
"koth_hill" - REQUIRED - the hill!

Oddball
"oddball_ball" - REQUIRED - a ball spawn point

Race
"race_spawn" - nothing special
"race_flag" - REQUIRED - a race checkpoint. Use the spawn sequence to set what order you have to hit them in. You can have more than one checkpoint with the same spawn sequence, in which case the driver can hit either one to get the checkpoint.
"none" - will get deleted

Stockpile
"stp_flag" - REQUIRED - a flag spawn point
"stp_goal" - REQUIRED - a flag drop point (team-specific)

Territories
"terr_object" - REQUIRED - a territory. Note that the spawn sequence MUST be set to something other than 0.

Invasion
For invasion setup info, click here (http://www.bungie.net/News/content.aspx?type=topnews&cid=28649)
NOTE - in order to use the "phased objects" and "gated objects" features (that is, objects that spawn or get deleted in certain phases), the objects MUST have a respawn time set on them.

Furgus
09-20-2010, 08:36 PM
I played with Forge for about 10 min and realized I am not creative at all, but I am willing to test, so if anyone sees me on and wants to play, send me an invite. BTW, I saw this and thought of you guys.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QIj5W_2T8Bk

CKWendel
09-21-2010, 05:07 AM
i just finished my map. called "four coners battle dome" who will survie the battle dome? www.geezergamers.com tag geezer. in my file share and recommended to my friends.

EmptyBag
09-23-2010, 12:15 PM
Furgus, that vid is awesome. and it gave me some ideas too!

EmptyBag
09-23-2010, 12:28 PM
This kid has waaay too much free time on his hands. But he went through and listed out all the variables for all the gametypes. Might be worht a read if you're having trouble tweaking something.

Complete Halo Reach Gametype settings (http://www.reachingperfection.com/2010/09/complete-halo-reach-gametype-settings.html)

The Bad News
So I have been hunting for these for a long time. And now that I have finally gotten a hold of them I am very disappointed in a lot of areas. The first is that a lot of the options are cut down to specific numbers instead of the full range. The main example of this is the scoring categories. For a majority of them you can only set -5/-2/-1/0/1/2/5/10 when in Halo 3 you can set it to any number between -10 and 10. This happens to a lot of the settings. Another disappointment is that a lot of gametypes that gave points for kills and deaths and stuff no longer do. The main examples are KoTH, Headhunter, and Oddball. Yes that means Sotha Sil cannot remake Yeah! Hill and myself and Debo cannot create Hot Potato or Evenball respectively with a scoring system based around kills. Sorry guys. Another disappointment is that you can only set a maximum of 5 territories rather than a max of 8 like in H3. Yes this does mean that now all Conquest maps will have 5 or less territories. The new scoring system shouldn't make this too bad, but still. Also there is no more respawn on territory capture, flag capture, or bomb detonation. *sigh* No more Tactical CTF or respawn on cap in Conquest. There are various other disappointments, but I will let you find them for yourself.

The Good News

Alright so yeah there were some disappointments, but there are also a lot of good things too. The system is a lot more organized and easier to find what you are looking for. Also loadouts will make gametypes very flexible. Infection Havens are going to make some interesting possibilities and so is the new Hot Potato setting in Oddball. Basically it makes the oddball explode at regular or random time intervals ;). Invasion allows a lot of control over the phases and Invasion Slayer allows you to do some interesting things with tier loadouts. There are some new percentages and numbers for a lot of settings that will really make gametypes interesting if people discover them. I will let you explore and try to find them for yourself. I will definitely be abusing the new ones that people are barely able to notice. I hope you guys enjoy these and I hope it helps you out. Again share with your friends and redirect them over to ReachingPerfection.com. Gotta love that advertising, right? lol...

Fid
09-28-2010, 11:33 AM
Something interesting I found the other day are the new teleporters. Under the teleporter settings you can edit the teleport radius. This means that it will teleport anything that comes with a certain ranged instead of just people who step on it. Also you can set the teleporter to teleport vehicles. There are separate settings for Players, Land Vehicle (aka ghosts, hogs, etc), Heavy Vehicles, and Flying vehicles.

EmptyBag
09-28-2010, 06:11 PM
Something interesting I found the other day are the new teleporters. Under the teleporter settings you can edit the teleport radius. This means that it will teleport anything that comes with a certain ranged instead of just people who step on it. Also you can set the teleporter to teleport vehicles. There are separate settings for Players, Land Vehicle (aka ghosts, hogs, etc), Heavy Vehicles, and Flying vehicles.

You can also have a blast with them too. Think Portal!

EmptyBag
09-28-2010, 10:04 PM
I'm trying to figure out a way to properly identify a base for multiple teams. I have 8 different mini bases where each team and their Mongoose spawns for Laser Geese. I though I would be able to color code them, but the colors are barely noticeable. They are more like highlights. Unfortunately I can only put 2 lights on the map, so that won't work.

Just curious if this was possible.

EmptyBag
09-28-2010, 10:06 PM
In the Game Type settings there is a setting to have teams synchronize spawn with their team mate. Has anyone tried this? it may have you wait in Limbo until your teammate dies.

Fid
09-29-2010, 12:00 PM
I was also bummed that you could only have two lights total. I haven't found a great way to identify bases, the walls really are more like highlights. For lazergeese though I colored the mongeese so that helps some.

EmptyBag
09-29-2010, 12:21 PM
I was also bummed that you could only have two lights total. I haven't found a great way to identify bases, the walls really are more like highlights. For lazergeese though I colored the mongeese so that helps some.

That makes sense. You probably have a better game type than me, since I'm basically winging it. I took your advice on keeping spawn areas separate. Hence the question above. I like the map, but I really need to move away from it now. I've been tweaking the damn thing since day one and haven't played much of the actual game.

Fid
09-29-2010, 12:32 PM
I should be on the next several nights if you want to go over in game. Let me know.

Jameyt
09-29-2010, 02:29 PM
I'm trying to figure out a way to properly identify a base for multiple teams. I have 8 different mini bases where each team and their Mongoose spawns for Laser Geese. I though I would be able to color code them, but the colors are barely noticeable. They are more like highlights. Unfortunately I can only put 2 lights on the map, so that won't work.

Just curious if this was possible.

If you do this you may want to set up some backfield spawn areas as well so folks have a choice on where to respawn.

EmptyBag
09-29-2010, 03:15 PM
If you do this you may want to set up some backfield spawn areas as well so folks have a choice on where to respawn.

That, is a great idea. I'm assuming there is a neutral spawn setting for all teams. Can you still spawn with your team mate if needed?

Jameyt
09-29-2010, 04:36 PM
That, is a great idea. I'm assuming there is a neutral spawn setting for all teams. Can you still spawn with your team mate if needed?

In invasion you have initial spawns, respawns by zone (and these can be by fire team) and you can set up a King of the Hill capture point and turn it into an Invasion spawn. The backfield spawn gives you choices. Would be fun to test this out on other settings.

ortho4
10-04-2010, 09:02 AM

I too made a lazergeese map for giggles but I cant figure out how to get the goose to respawn any quicker than 30 secs similar to the last game in H3 did you figure that out yet Fid? What I added was a drop shield to help players from being poached by spawn campers till there goose arrives

CKWendel
10-04-2010, 09:37 AM
I too made a lazergeese map for giggles but I cant figure out how to get the goose to respawn any quicker than 30 secs similar to the last game in H3 did you figure that out yet Fid? What I added was a drop shield to help players from being poached by spawn campers till there goose arrives

you have to set the respawn timer to 1 to help it spawn faster. there is still a delay thou because the game has to wait for the old one to be removed from the map before the new one will spawn.

ortho4
10-04-2010, 10:13 AM
you have to set the respawn timer to 1 to help it spawn faster. there is still a delay thou because the game has to wait for the old one to be removed from the map before the new one will spawn.

I did that, I guess its the debris that's holding it up then, cant see why that matters if max number on map is 8.

1million
10-04-2010, 10:32 AM
About Geordi?http://blog.nola.com/star-trek_impact/2009/04/medium_trek-dream-team-geordi.jpg

His visor looks like it was made using a car air filter.

Yukon46
10-04-2010, 01:14 PM
Am I the only one finding it hard to get into Creating Forged maps, and custom games ???

To me it seems like everyone is too into playing Matchmaking, Firefights and such, they seem to not want to play customs because they need the POINTS !!!

Forge capabilities is awesome, but time consuming..... custom game making is somewhat tedious and also time consuming....
Now with the majority of people just wanting to get the Points for getting higher levels and commendations by playing Matchmaking, the interest in Custom Games seems lower than ever.

So for me, this makes the time investment in making custom games hard to justify.... :(

CKWendel
10-04-2010, 01:19 PM
Am I the only one finding it hard to get into Creating Forged maps, and custom games ???

To me it seems like everyone is too into playing Matchmaking, Firefights and such, they seem to not want to play customs because they need the POINTS !!!

Forge capabilities is awesome, but time consuming..... custom game making is somewhat tedious and also time consuming....
Now with the majority of people just wanting to get the Points for getting higher levels and commendations by playing Matchmaking, the interest in Custom Games seems lower than ever.

So for me, this makes the time investment in making custom games hard to justify.... :(

i think give it time. everyone is after the grunt birthday party or some other goal. they will soon get tired of chasing points and will start to look for something different.... well than again, we are geezers and there are a lot that like to chase achievement points so i could be wrong on this.

Fid
10-04-2010, 07:02 PM
I did that, I guess its the debris that's holding it up then, cant see why that matters if max number on map is 8.

I've only managed to get the mongoose respawns between 20-25 seconds. I have the respawn timer set to 1 second and I set the run time min to equal the run time max. Unfortunately the respawn timer doesn't start until the wreckage of the former goose clears. The easiest counter is to set the player respawns from 15 to 20 seconds. Not a perfect fix, but it worked well enough in H3.

EmptyBag
10-04-2010, 08:36 PM
I've only managed to get the mongoose respawns between 20-25 seconds. I have the respawn timer set to 1 second and I set the run time min to equal the run time max. Unfortunately the respawn timer doesn't start until the wreckage of the former goose clears. The easiest counter is to set the player respawns from 15 to 20 seconds. Not a perfect fix, but it worked well enough in H3.

I'll have to try that.

EmptyBag
10-04-2010, 08:37 PM
i think give it time. everyone is after the grunt birthday party or some other goal. they will soon get tired of chasing points and will start to look for something different.... well than again, we are geezers and there are a lot that like to chase achievement points so i could be wrong on this.
Everything is so new and shiny. It will die down. I'm always up for some customs and helping test out some new maps.

Vanstorm
10-05-2010, 10:44 AM
I'd be all about some custom games, but I never see anyone online playing them. Send me a FR.

Jameyt
10-05-2010, 11:46 AM
You do get points for playing custom games: just not as much.

I agree, in a week or so when things die down we'll get some full rooms of custom games going. We did a bit the other night. Fun to revisit old Halo CE maps.

CKWendel
10-05-2010, 06:01 PM
just finished my second map last night, but forgot to throw it on my file share. its a modified remake of team fortress 2's map 2fort. when i get home i'll throw it up.

Fid
10-06-2010, 02:25 PM
just finished my second map last night, but forgot to throw it on my file share. its a modified remake of team fortress 2's map 2fort. when i get home i'll throw it up.

There is a distinct lack of water, intelligence briefcases, pyros, and spies on your map. But otherwise it's a good looking map :p

Maizrim
10-06-2010, 03:50 PM
Finishing up my first map when I came across this site (not sure if it's been posted)... a LOT of info and so far a ton of great maps that I would not have otherwise known about.

Check it out here:
http://www.forgehub.com/

Btw, once I figure out the whole "This map variant is not compatible..." thing, please check my File Share and download Possum Baseball (game variant) and the map Oddball Beach.

The map took me forever because of the wall... wow, OCD and Forge do not go together :lol:

EDIT: Map and Game Variant are DONE - check them out here: http://www.bungie.net/Stats/Reach/FileShare.aspx?player=Maizrim

Game Variant: Possum Baseball (variant of Rocketball) - AP has played this (on Headlong before) since Halo 2.
Halo Map: Oddball Beach

Description: A closed in area where there are not many places to hide - the only rule of Bungie Baseball (had to change the name - can't use "Bungie") was that you could not take the Oddball inside of a building... no chance of that now. I tried to come up with a fair spawn system and came up with I call "Spawn Bunkers" - but you will notice that there are two open spawn points on opposite sides (one on the side of the mountain and another on the beach).

I hope you like the Loadout name, tags and Descriptions... any and all feedback is appreciated.

Fid
10-06-2010, 04:29 PM
Maizrim: On the first page of the thread is a good post from Empty about the required objects on a map to avoid getting the incompatible map error. All you have to do is go into the appropriate Forge mode (ie. CTF, Oddball, etc). Once there pick an object and go to the advanced settings in the object options menu. From there go down to "Label" and simply set the appropriate one for your game!

Maizrim
10-06-2010, 04:50 PM
Maizrim: On the first page of the thread is a good post from Empty about the required objects on a map to avoid getting the incompatible map error. All you have to do is go into the appropriate Forge mode (ie. CTF, Oddball, etc). Once there pick an object and go to the advanced settings in the object options menu. From there go down to "Label" and simply set the appropriate one for your game!

Thanks! I think I used some of the same info - my problem is that I had it set to "Oddball" and not "Oddball_ball". All fixed and ready to break. :)

Maizrim
10-07-2010, 07:46 PM
Any suggestions on how to create your own Rocket Race? I've looked everywhere (Bungie.net, etc) and for some reason, Teams cannot be enabled. It's so frustrating.

Right now the only way I can do any semblance of a Rocket Race to 2 player teams x8/Mongoose Crazy King. It's better than nothing, but nowhere near as fun as Rocket Race.

Gagnon 30
10-08-2010, 11:55 AM
You do get points for playing custom games: just not as much.

I agree, in a week or so when things die down we'll get some full rooms of custom games going. We did a bit the other night. Fun to revisit old Halo CE maps.

I am anxious to play some of Halo 3 remakes as well.. I dled a decent Guardian, Pit and Rats Net Remake... but playing it with my son locally isnt the same as with a group!

Let me know if a formal or informal customs night pops up.. I am anxious!

Fid
10-08-2010, 12:20 PM
Any suggestions on how to create your own Rocket Race? I've looked everywhere (Bungie.net, etc) and for some reason, Teams cannot be enabled. It's so frustrating.

Right now the only way I can do any semblance of a Rocket Race to 2 player teams x8/Mongoose Crazy King. It's better than nothing, but nowhere near as fun as Rocket Race.

Didn't Bungie say they were putting Rocket Race into Multi-team? I'm curious as to how they're going to accomplish it.

Maizrim
10-08-2010, 01:49 PM
Didn't Bungie say they were putting Rocket Race into Multi-team? I'm curious as to how they're going to accomplish it.

Yeah, I think it's there now... I just wish you were able to play it in custom games since I put a lot of time into my latest map.

Btw, I know this is "General Discussion", but shouldn't we move this thread to the new Halo sub-forum? :)

Ozman51
10-08-2010, 02:27 PM
I've seen good remakes of Hang em High and Lockout so far. I'll try to get them up in my fileshare.

sneaky_pete
10-10-2010, 10:06 AM
Here are some links I found where you can download some good forge maps:

Forge Hub (http://www.forgehub.com/forum/halo-reach-custom-content/)

weekly update (http://www.onpause.org/search/label/Forge%20World?&max-results=8)

SquidgeyFlint
10-10-2010, 12:26 PM
(moved this into the halo forum)

Maizrim
10-10-2010, 02:21 PM
Update: Rocket Race (author: Bungie) is now available when you do a search... I tried to upload it to my File Share for the past two days and it fails each time. Can you not add a Bungie file to your File Share?

I also finished my Rocket Race map "Rocket Gulch" for use with the Rocket Race gametype... let me know what you think:
http://www.bungie.net/Stats/Reach/FileDetails.aspx?fid=5828264&player=Maizrim

There are enough for 16 players (8 different team colored Mongooses) with random checkpoints - I would appreciate any feedback. TIP: When you change the shape of something like a checkpoint in a race/rally, be sure not to change the length to less than 0.1 or the checkpoint will not work. I have mostly circular checkpoints, but two of them are wall shaped and I could not figure out why it did not work - I had it set at "0.0".

PhazeZero
10-10-2010, 03:18 PM
I've sent out recommendations to my friends list for my map called 'Uplink Station Zulu'. Would love feedback.

Classic Slayer is the mode I had in mind as I created it and placed the power weapons.

Phaze

Stumanji
10-12-2010, 01:58 AM
I've got a remake I did of the classic map Temple from Goldeneye 007. It's set up for Slayer, Oddball, King of the Hill, and Headhunter. Working on adding CTF... somehow.

It's in my fileshare and it's called "Temple of the Guardians".

Here's a pic or two:
http://i88.photobucket.com/albums/k169/Stumanji77/templeMainRoom2.jpg

http://i88.photobucket.com/albums/k169/Stumanji77/templeRedSpawn.jpg

http://i88.photobucket.com/albums/k169/Stumanji77/templeBelowMain.jpg

Maizrim
10-13-2010, 01:00 PM
I've got a remake I did of the classic map Temple from Goldeneye 007. It's set up for Slayer, Oddball, King of the Hill, and Headhunter. Working on adding CTF... somehow.

It's in my fileshare and it's called "Temple of the Guardians".

I'll have to check each of these maps out, but I must say that Goldeneye maps are always a lot of fun... I remember a good remake of Temple in Timesplitters Future Perfect that we had a lot of fun with.

EmptyBag
10-14-2010, 09:26 PM
I'll have to check each of these maps out, but I must say that Goldeneye maps are always a lot of fun... I remember a good remake of Temple in Timesplitters Future Perfect that we had a lot of fun with.

When I get a chance I'll check these out too. Nice work!

Fid
10-14-2010, 11:20 PM
Just wanted to mention two things to my fellow Forgers:

First, you may want to consider doing back up files of the maps you're working on. Myself (and a number of others according to Forgehub) have had problems with maps reverting to old saved versions or becoming corrupted and unloaded altogether. I lost two maps entirely and a few hours of work on another because of this. Go here (http://www.forgehub.com/forum/halo-reach-forge-discussion/109411-forge-maps-reverting-old-saves.html#post1275102) to check out the thread and see some other tips at avoiding this.

Second, if any of you are interested in getting your maps out to a larger Geezer community click on the link in my sig to visit the Pentathlon forum. There is a Map/Game submission thread for those of you who may be interested in having your maps in Pentathlon.

Monk
10-16-2010, 11:18 AM
I've been busy slaving away in the forge as well, I have a couple of maps done (that I am rather proud of) and plans for more. I'd love to bounce ideas off people and also see maps other geezers have made. hit me up with a FR, I think it'd also be cool to have a colaboration map, ya know have a basic idea and then say you build this half I'll build the other. See y'all in the forge.

EmptyBag
10-25-2010, 10:36 AM
Just wanted to mention two things to my fellow Forgers:

First, you may want to consider doing back up files of the maps you're working on. Myself (and a number of others according to Forgehub) have had problems with maps reverting to old saved versions or becoming corrupted and unloaded altogether. I lost two maps entirely and a few hours of work on another because of this. Go here (http://www.forgehub.com/forum/halo-reach-forge-discussion/109411-forge-maps-reverting-old-saves.html#post1275102) to check out the thread and see some other tips at avoiding this.

Second, if any of you are interested in getting your maps out to a larger Geezer community click on the link in my sig to visit the Pentathlon forum. There is a Map/Game submission thread for those of you who may be interested in having your maps in Pentathlon.

Thanks man, I'll keep an eye out for that.

SteelShouldr
11-30-2011, 06:32 PM
I've been goofing around in Forge, trying to create a first solid attempt at a map. It has fast become a source of mental rest. Anyhow, I would like to get better at this since I do enjoy, so willing to hear the good bad and ugly. If you would like to check it out, it is named S.O.A.R. in my file share. Yes, it does need work and that is why I am asking for help. Although I did want something a little different than running around in circles on a flat surface. Your help would be appreciated