Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6789 LastLast

Thread: HBO's Game of Thrones

Post Enthusiast
    Level completed: 99%, Points required for next Level: 5
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Flagship MemberPoster ChildCreated Blog entryTagger Second ClassRecommendation Second Class
    Awards:
    King of Publishing
    Level
    Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: SHERIFFBULL0CK SHERIFFBULL0CK
    PSN ID: SHERIFFBULL0CK SHERIFFBULL0CK
    Nice pic.

"Blackwater" sure lived up to its hype. And next week we visit The House of the Undying. Should be a good finale. Sucks the season is over already. :/

Super Moderator
    Level completed: 63%, Points required for next Level: 75
    Achievements:
    Created Album picturesYour first GroupFlagship MemberTagger Second ClassPoster Child
    Level
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Furgus Furgus
    PSN ID: Furgus1 Furgus1
    Yes it does sucks it's over already, but my cable bill will get $16 lighter next month

Old-Timer
    Level completed: 14%, Points required for next Level: 130
    Achievements:
    Flagship MemberPoster Child1 year registered1000 Experience Points

Level
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: RageofKronos RageofKronos
    Did anyone else think that the "war" was over too quickly? I was expecting it to be spread out over several episodes with a lot going on behind the battle. A lot of things didn't add up with how quickly the fighting ended.

Aside from that, this is probably the best TV series I have seen in ages. I thought the first couple of episodes reminded my of Skyrim in a way.

Invented the Question Mark
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Achievements:
    Created Blog entryFlagship MemberOverdrivePoster ChildTagger First Class
    Awards:
    Discussion EnderCalendar Award
    The greater Lexington area of kiss my a**
    Level
    Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: flu13 flu13
    I haven't seen how it played out in the show, but in the book, the war itself really isn't that prominent. The Battle of the Blackwater Rush is a quick and dirty affair. I also think that maybe at first you aren't aware of how the battle turned so quickly in favor of Joffrey's forces.

As for reminding of Skyrim....I have been amazed as I read these books how much they seemingly have influenced both Skyrim and Jim Butcher's Codex Alera series. Both seem to take ideas rather liberally from this series of books.
    You dumb bastard. It's not a schooner, it's a sailboat.

Post Enthusiast
    Achievements:
    Flagship MemberPoster ChildCreated Blog entryTagger Second ClassRecommendation Second Class
    Awards:
    King of Publishing
    Level
    Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

Quote Originally Posted by RageofKronos View Post
    Did anyone else think that the "war" was over too quickly?
    As Flu said, it was only a battle.

It would have been a whole nother bloody affair if Tyrion hadn't sunk all of Stannis's ships with his wildfire, though. Stannis lost most of his men, so the Lannisters were able to kill the stragglers rather easily.

I do think the battle BEGAN rather quickly. We hadn't seen Stannis the previous episode and already he was at King's Landing. Episode eight should have contained more foreshadowing.

I was expecting it to be spread out over several episodes with a lot going on behind the battle.
    There have been six books and the war ain't over yet.

Post Enthusiast
    Achievements:
    Awards:
    King of Publishing
    Level
    Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

Quote Originally Posted by Furgus View Post
    Yes it does sucks it's over already, but my cable bill will get $16 lighter next month
    For you, but not for me.

I'm still eager for True Blood even though it's been borderline unwatchable for two seasons.

I will also give The Newsroom a try even though a) I don't like anyone in the cast b) The previews alone made me want to punch Jeff Daniels in the face and c) Sorkin's last series (Studio 60 on the Sunset Strip) was AWFUL.

Seven episodes of Boardwalk Empire to watch before I'm caught up.

If I wasn't so behind in Breaking Bad (and other programs) I'd want to give The Wire another shot too.

So I need my HBO.

Too bad we never did our Game of Thrones viewing party. That could have been FUN!

Old-Timer
    Level completed: 14%, Points required for next Level: 130
    Achievements:
    Flagship MemberPoster Child1 year registered1000 Experience Points

Level
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: RageofKronos RageofKronos
    I have not read the books so I had no knowledge of what is going to unfold. I really like the show. We need more than 10 episodes.

As for True Blood, I loved the first three seasons but didn't like the turn the show took in the fourth. Can wait for season 5 to start.

Prestige 1
    Level completed: 6%, Points required for next Level: 189
    Achievements:
    Flagship MemberCreated Blog entryTagger Second ClassPoster ChildThree Friends
    Level
    Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: War1n War1n
    Season 3 will only be half of Storm of Swords, so the producers know you need more than 10 episodes per book as well

No matter where you go, there you are.

Post Enthusiast
    Achievements:
    Awards:
    King of Publishing
    Level
    Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

Quote Originally Posted by Warin View Post
    Season 3 will only be half of Storm of Swords, so the producers know you need more than 10 episodes per book as well
    And that's fine because it gives Martin more time to finish the books.

So, a pretty good finale last night. It's tough to end the season and provide no resolution to ANYTHING because, well, the war has just begun. But most of the characters ended up in new places with lessons learned.

I was disappointed with the House of the Undying. This was my favorite chapter of book two, and it was 100% different in the show. I understand the reason for the changes, but I don't have to like them.

From Rolling Stone: Dany's grand finale was the most problematic of them all. As written by George R.R. Martin, her trip inside the House of the Undying is a combination of David Lynch's nightmarishly surreal Black Lodge from Twin Peaks and the mad bursts of clues and hints and prophetic insanity that characterized Lost's great leaps forward in its early seasons. What we got was…not that. It was effective in and of itself, yeah – the Drogo stuff was moving, the image of the snow-covered throne room a vivid what-we're-fighting-for warning – but it was all easily understood, and over very quickly. But you really don't need to weigh it against the book to find it wanting: In character terms, it simply revisited the flameproof imagery of the first season finale and led into a lame joke about the Dothraki looting Xaro Xhoan Daxos's palace. Suddenly the weightlessness of the entire Qarth storyline was impossible to ignore, and after Dany's truly mythic journey during season one, it's a big comedown.

http://www.rollingstone.com/movies/n...nerys-20120604

Even the exterior of the House of the Undying was different. The book makes a point that it's a one story building so when she starts climbing flights of stairs she knows she's in the presence of sorcery. And Pyat Pree warns her to take only the doors on her right and always go up stairs never down, or she'll be lost forever. She has visions of big events (The RW) and receives a riddle about being betrayed 'once for gold and once for blood and once for love' and this thought keeps rattling in her head for the rest of the series, and she starts to doubt everyone's intentions.

I didn't get anything like that from the finale. It was beautiful and haunting, but Dany didn't receive any actual wisdom by the end. The Dothraki didn't even tie silver bells in her hair to commemorate her victory over the warlocks of Qarth. (Of which there are more than just Pyat Pree.) Certainly, there was no bizarre tableau for us to ponder during the hiatus.

Prestige 1
    Level completed: 62%, Points required for next Level: 57
    Overall activity: 23.0%
    Achievements:
    1 year registeredFlagship MemberPoster Child1000 Experience Points
    Level
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: SSG Cazaril SSG Cazaril
    Quote Originally Posted by Sheriff_Bullock View Post
    Even the exterior of the House of the Undying was different. The book makes a point that it's a one story building so when she starts climbing flights of stairs she knows she's in the presence of sorcery. And Pyat Pree warns her to take only the doors on her right and always go up stairs never down, or she'll be lost forever. She has visions of big events (The RW) and receives a riddle about being betrayed 'once for gold and once for blood and once for love' and this thought keeps rattling in her head for the rest of the series, and she starts to doubt everyone's intentions.
    Yeah, that bugged me too. It's called the HOUSE of the Undying, not the tower of the Undying. I think they dumbed the whole sequence down to be more palatable for TV viewers. But without the prophecy of the three betrayals that Dany gets in the books, I'm not sure how they're going to handle the more subtle aspects of Dany's plot-line. Maybe they're just going to ignore it completely?

The enemy's gate is down.