A running list of changes to SF4 have been coming in for your favorite characters. Here is a list thus far:
• Rock Crusher (Toward + Medium Punch) has less recovery. Rock Crusher, into Far Standing Light Punch into Beast Roll is possible now.
• Beast Slide (Down-Toward + Hard Punch) has less active frames, as a result the whole animation time is shorter. Also, his hittable box during the recovery of this move has been increased.
• His Forward Hop (Toward + 3x Kick) has more grounded frames of animation during start up, making him easier to grab out of it.
• The hittable box of his Beast Roll has been widened in size while rolling around, and the distance traveled after having it blocked has been altered. Distance on recovery from a blocked Beast Roll is now Light Punch and EX longest. Medium Punch, midlength, Hard Punch, shortest. So it is necessary to plan which one to use at which distance more so than it is now.
• EX Backstep Rolling's (Rainbow Ball) forward distance has been reduced a little, so it's harder to escape from the corner. It is still possible to move forward and back based on joystick movement, though.
• EX Electricity has much faster start up now, so it's easier to use.
• 2nd hit of Abel's Crouching Hard Punch has a smaller hitbox, both upward and downward.
• Tornado Throw damage reduced.
• Roll lost some of its hit invincibility at the end of it, making it easier to punish. There was no change to the recovery frames.
• Ultra 1 had a 10% damage reduction. Ultra 1's new damage would range from 309-450. In SSF4 it was 343-500.
• Ultra 2 10% damage reduction, slower startup, super armor gets removed when Abel starts to run forward and there's a longer recovery time when you cancel out of it. New damage totals for Ultra 2 should range from 295-440. In SSF4 these were 328-480.
• Two Target Combos have been added in. 1st: Crouching Light Kick into Crouching Medium Kick. 2nd: First hit of Standing Hard Punch into Standing Medium Kick.
• Both Medium Kicks can be Canceled now, so go for more damage by Canceling into his Specials.
• Standing Light Punch's hittable box from his elbow and onward has been deleted, so it's harder to get hit out of now.
• Crouching Medium Punch's start up is faster, so it's possible to Link from Standing Light Punch and Crouching Light Punch.
• Crouching Medium Punch can now be Canceled, providing good setups into his Hands special on hit or block.
• Standing Hard Kick's range slightly increased. There is no hittable box from his ankle, so it might be useful as a footsie tool.
• Ultra 2 downward hitbox improved, so it has less chance to whiff.
• Traveling speed for Crane Style's Ultra 2 is faster, making it easier to connect with now.
• During backdash, he's airborne right after invincibility wears out.
• Gen received no nerfs.
• Crouching Light Kick has more range.
• Standing Light Kick is Kara Cancelable during its start up animation. The Kara Karakusa is possible again.
• Crouching Hard Kick hit box extended out in front of Makoto, and the hittable box has been lowered slightly, making it easier to use as an anti air.
• Crouching Hard Punch has slightly more active frames.
• Toward + Light Punch has a 3 frame startup (formerly 4 frames).
• EX Hayate (Dash Punch) now breaks armor and has a slightly faster start up.
• Opponent can no longer do a quick get up after Makoto connects with a Hard Punch or EX Oroshi (Overhead Chop). It's more useful now in resets and wake up situations.
• Fukiage (Upwards Punch) when Makoto's arm is fully extended, the hittable box from her chest up has been almost completely removed. Downward attack box has been extended as well, so there are now almost no situations where it trades or is stuffed. It still can't hit grounded opponents, though. The start up for all versions has been improved so it's more useful than it is now.
• EX Tsurugi (Axe Kick) is now like Cammy's EX Cannon Strike, in that it can be done very low to the ground, i.e. an Instant Axe Kick. It takes practice, but since it is a 2-hit special that makes grabs whiff and hits as an overhead, it'll be more interesting to use in offensive/defensive situations.
• Ultra 1 damage distribution has been changed. It still does the same total damage, but you will see the difference during combo damage and damage scaling based on life left. Apparently, this should result in it doing more damage.
• Ultra 2 has a faster startup time making it easier to counter Fireballs with.
• Makoto's stamina is now 1,000, which is the average stamina rating in the game.
• Forward and back dash are faster, total animation frames were decreased.
• Now a combo such as a Level 1 Hard Punch Hayate (Dash Punch), Focus Attacl Dash Cancel, Crouching Light Kick (and other stuff) into Light Punch Hayate is possible, because of the changes to her Dash speed. Mixing this in with her Grab and Choke (Karakusa) makes this a powerful grab or hit tool.
• Light Punch Headbutt now has lower body invincibility instead of upper body invincibility, so it will be harder to utilize it as anti air.
• Ultra 1 has projectile invincibility until the last active frame.
• Ultra 2's command has been changed to two half-circle backs from a 720 motion. It's easier to get it out now. Also, while its range increased, it starts up in 2f so it's possible to dodge it after screen freeze.
• During backdash, Honda is now considered airborne right after invincibility ends.
• He had solid skills that builds high damage, so he had overall damage decrease. His basis of strength has not changed, so he can fight as he does now.
• All of Gouken's normal moves have been improved.
• Close Standing Hard Punch and Close Standing Hard Kick have more frame advantage.
• Close Standing Medium Kick has 3 frame start up start-up, so it'll be easier to compete against some of the other fighters.
• Neutral Jump Hard Punch and diagonal Jump Hard Kick have pursuit properties, and will slam opponents into the ground.
• Ranges on his normal moves haven't changed.
• Back grab has been changed to deal gray damage, so the combo damage from the grab has been decreased. (Translator's note: They're probably saying that the back grab deals 0 gray damage, so it'll get scaled as a combo as well.)
• In specials, Light Punch Running Palm (Senkugoshoha) has been drastically changed, so it will connect from weak attacks (Light Punch/Light Kick), and EX Hurricane Kick locks opponent, making it easier to combo.
• Recovery of the Demon Flip Focus has been significantly decreased, making it easier to utilize.
• Kongo (Counter) is changed as well. To be precise, it can only be activated now by using Punch buttons and the strength of the Punch changes where it sets up a counter hit at. Light for low attacks, Medium for middle attacks, and Hard for upper body attacks.
• During backdash, Gouken is now considered airborne right after invincibility ends.
• His normal and special moves have been changed, and he will be able to do new things while retaining old tactics.
• As a result, his 'easiness' might have been changed, but you will be able to enjoy strategies different from Ryu and Akuma.
• Her Super will no longer work when there is a Soul Spark in the screen. It is still possible to Cancel into Super from a Soul Spark, though.
• Soul Satellite (Ultra 2) has been changed. For the sake of balance, its invincibility has been decreased (or erased).
Normals, her projectile, anti air and her basic tactics will stay, so basically, Soul Satellite is the only one that has really been changed.