Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567

Thread: Gun Enthusiasts

Prestige 1
    Level completed: 6%, Points required for next Level: 189
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Flagship MemberCreated Blog entryTagger Second ClassPoster ChildThree Friends
    Level
    Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: War1n War1n
    Hey all, thought I would bring this thread back from the dead in a quest for advice from people I think I can trust...

Is there someone down in the lower 48 who might be going to a gun shop sometime soon? One that sells Ruger? Would anyone who is doing those things consider taking their smart phone or camera with them and do me two favours: Take some live shots of a retail Ruger American rifle in .308 and handle it a bit and give me some opinions?

It looks like they wont be available till late summer up here in Canuckistan and since i want to hunt this fall, I want to know if it is worth waiting for one... since I’d much rather have a Ruger than a Savage, and I have been looking at the Axis.

Thanks!

No matter where you go, there you are.

Chatty Cathy
    Level completed: 46%, Points required for next Level: 82
    Achievements:
    Flagship MemberPoster ChildThree Friends1000 Experience Points1 year registered
    Level
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Prego Magic Prego Magic
    Warin, I don't know if you're still looking but I'll check one out for you and try to post some pics or email them to you, whichever you want me to do. I handle several different firearms on a regular basis so I'll give you my honest opinion. I also know a few people who have some Rugers but I'm not sure if they have one in a .308 but I will ask around for ya!

Level completed: 56%, Points required for next Level: 22
    Achievements:
    Poster ChildFlagship Member100 Experience Points3 months registered

Level
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: VoodooHack VoodooHack
    PSN ID: VoodooHack VoodooHack Steam ID: VoodooHack
    I'm going to necro this thread because I don't know where else to post this. Just got back from visiting my folks in Arizona. While I was there, I went to my first IDPA match. Contrary to what my bro-in-law claimed, there were no women, older kids or elderly there learning practical drills for their concealed carry pistols. I was pretty much the only noob there amongst former military, law enforcement and veterans of the sport. Needless to say, my score was comically pathetic compared to theirs.

On the upside, they were eager to help and were more than happy to give each other and me tips on grips and how to engage our targets.

We shot 4 stages, all of them home invasion scenarios. Now I can say I was able to put lead on target while walking backwards and while holding a phone to my ear.... amongst other things I've never done before with a gun.

All in all, an extremely positive experience and will definitely be doing it again.

Anyone else here shoot IDPA, USPSA, etc? What were your experiences? Any tips to offer?

Senior Post Enthusiast
    Level completed: 58%, Points required for next Level: 214
    Overall activity: 40.0%
    Achievements:
    Flagship MemberCreated Blog entryCreated Album picturesPoster ChildTagger First Class
    Level
    Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: MidnightGhostGF MidnightGhostGF
    Quote Originally Posted by VoodooHack View Post
    Anyone else here shoot IDPA, USPSA, etc? What were your experiences? Any tips to offer?
    Less so the last couple of years but I had a run of some years where I was shooting 4-6 USPSA matches a month. Did OK, the last year I shot a lot (before kids..) I won my class in a few major matches including an area championship. As far as I'm concerned that's some of the best fun you can have and the vast majority of folks like helping new people get into the sport.

I'll offer a couple of things tip-wise, one is check out andersonshooting.com, Steve Anderson wrote a couple of books that are great training aids. I've actually broken them back out recently because I'm trying to get back into shooting again. All you need to get something out of the books is time, a shot timer (smartphone app works dryfire), and a little patience to get things right.

The second tip is check out brianenos.com/forums, IMO is the hands down the best resource on the internet for those interested in practical shooting. Members of the site are everyone from average Joe's to some of the best shooters in the world, all willing to offer input, answer questions, etc. The guy that owns the site (Brian Enos) was a badass shooter in the early days of IPSC and later the USPSA. I cannot recommend enough what you can get out of that community.

If you see this, feel free to PM me, always happy to answer questions, etc. but unfortunately don't frequent GG much these days.

Prestige 1
    Level completed: 9%, Points required for next Level: 182
    Overall activity: 99.5%
    Achievements:
    1000 Experience PointsFlagship MemberThree FriendsPoster ChildVeteran
    Level
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: xBlackMamba68x xBlackMamba68x
    Ohey, Geezers! I ashamedly admit I haven't been around the site for a hella long time...got out of gaming for a while and got into shooting. Hello to fellow Geezer gun owners/enthusiasts! I shoot everything from a little .22 Ruger 22/45 up to my beloved Savage .308. There is a glaring hole in my safe where an AR-15 should be....that's my next 'un.

I'll go back to lurking and 'catching up' on the site....
    http://www.geezergamers.com/image.php?u=12143&type=sigpic&dateline=1286585513