Level completed: 76%, Points required for next Level: 48
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Flagship MemberPoster ChildTagger First ClassVeteran5000 Experience Points
    Level
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Sir Huck A Lot Sir Huck A Lot

IT Tech Questions

seems like we could use a thread for all things related to computers/networking, etc. i've been building pc's since '95, doing web development since '99, and SEO/SEM since 2006. i am more of a JOAT than expert in one specific area, but can help across a pretty broad range of things. i'm sure we have some seriously brilliant folks in here, however, who can bring much more to the table that i can.

that said, i've got a problem i cannot solve. it probably means a new monitor (never a bad thing), but i had to drop 300 for a monitor only to see it completely crap out in 2 years.

i run a custom built pc with an AMD Phenom chip, 8 gb of ram and a Gigabyte HD 6570 video card. i have dual monitors, the Sceptre X224WG that is giving me fits, and an Acer 23 inch. last week the CMOS battery started to fail and seems to be the only incident of note that precurses the failure of the Sceptre.

i have the Acer connected to the HDMI port of the video card and the Sceptre to the DVI port. the Sceptre has a native resolution of 1900x1200, but since sometime within the same day as the battery failure, it will now only display in 640x480. there are no drivers from Sceptre for the monitor, and the Gigabyte people tell me the monitor sends out its resolution options in a sort of call and response method.

i have tried everything i can think of...looking at the monitor.sys file, messing with an .inf file to provide resolution options, all of it. nothing works. this is the first pc problem i've had i've not been able to solve and it's really aggravating me!

anyone have any ideas?

Invented the Question Mark Achievements:
    Created Blog entryFlagship MemberOverdrivePoster ChildTagger First Class
    The greater Lexington area of kiss my a**
    Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: flu13 flu13
    I don't have any ideas. Hardware is voodoo.

I do, however, have my own question. Web Services are not my forte. I've created a web service with the help of a co-worker for communication with another vendor. They defined the interface, as it's one they use with other partners. The request has a soap header portion with a username and password, and in my service implementation, I need to get to those values to sort of authenticate the call. My source code was all generated using WSDL2Java by my co-worker, so that's sort of alien to me. What I don't know is how to get to any of that soap header information through all of this magically generated code. Anyone know much about that sort of thing?

Prestige 1
    Level completed: 99%, Points required for next Level: 2
    Achievements:
    Flagship MemberThree FriendsCreated Blog entryPoster ChildVeteran
    Top Middle. BZZZZT! No, respawning in Blue Base.
    Level
    Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Fragfinger Fragfinger
    Quote Originally Posted by Flu View Post
    I don't have any ideas. Hardware is voodoo.

I do, however, have my own question. Web Services are not my forte. I've created a web service with the help of a co-worker for communication with another vendor. They defined the interface, as it's one they use with other partners. The request has a soap header portion with a username and password, and in my service implementation, I need to get to those values to sort of authenticate the call. My source code was all generated using WSDL2Java by my co-worker, so that's sort of alien to me. What I don't know is how to get to any of that soap header information through all of this magically generated code. Anyone know much about that sort of thing?
    I concur about hardware being voodoo.

What do you mean by 'get to' the SOAP message? You would expect that your discoveryService would get the description for the request via WSDL and give you a way to send parameters to the service using a SOAP envelope, and also tell you where to expect the results package which should be self-contained XML. If the service needs authentication then that's either expected in the SOAP request (probably a bad idea) or... gosh, I don't know. Is this JMS? I need to ask someone who doesn't just make it up as they go along (like me). I seem o remember that what you really want to do is to use the messaging service to authenticate messages for multicast. Uh.
    Geezer #141

Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

So, remember where I said that web services aren't my forte? Well, everything you just said was basically gibberish to me.

I'm getting a soap request sort of like this:

<soap:Envelope xmlns:xsi=blah blah blah>
    <soap:Header>
    <soapAuthenticationHeader>
    <username>user</username>
    <password>pass</password>
    </soapAuthenticationHeader>
    </soap:Header>
    <soap:Body>
    stuff
    stuff
    stuff
    </soap:Body>
    </soap:Envelope>

I have this magical WSDL2Java stuff that magically unmarshals the XML into Java objects for me. However, these objects only have the "stuff" in them, not the header information. I don't know how to get to the header information to get that username and password.

Prestige 1
    Level completed: 91%, Points required for next Level: 18
    Overall activity: 20.0%
    Achievements:
    Flagship Member1 year registeredThree FriendsPoster Child10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Enteleki Enteleki
    Quote Originally Posted by huckleberry View Post
    seems like we could use a thread for all things related to computers/networking, etc. i've been building pc's since '95, doing web development since '99, and SEO/SEM since 2006. i am more of a JOAT than expert in one specific area, but can help across a pretty broad range of things. i'm sure we have some seriously brilliant folks in here, however, who can bring much more to the table that i can.

that said, i've got a problem i cannot solve. it probably means a new monitor (never a bad thing), but i had to drop 300 for a monitor only to see it completely crap out in 2 years.

i run a custom built pc with an AMD Phenom chip, 8 gb of ram and a Gigabyte HD 6570 video card. i have dual monitors, the Sceptre X224WG that is giving me fits, and an Acer 23 inch. last week the CMOS battery started to fail and seems to be the only incident of note that precurses the failure of the Sceptre.

i have the Acer connected to the HDMI port of the video card and the Sceptre to the DVI port. the Sceptre has a native resolution of 1900x1200, but since sometime within the same day as the battery failure, it will now only display in 640x480. there are no drivers from Sceptre for the monitor, and the Gigabyte people tell me the monitor sends out its resolution options in a sort of call and response method.

i have tried everything i can think of...looking at the monitor.sys file, messing with an .inf file to provide resolution options, all of it. nothing works. this is the first pc problem i've had i've not been able to solve and it's really aggravating me!

anyone have any ideas?
    I'm no guru, but could the BIOS have been flaked-out by the battery. I know it doesn't sound right, but if the battery thing is related to the monitor, the BIOS is where I would look first. Actually, first I would be switching monitors, putting the Spectre on another comp, etc. to locate the issue in the monitor or in the comp.

Elections are no longer a useful agent of change. Our politicians are
    corrupt because they are elected by a corrupt culture. Change the culture.

Prestige 1
    Level completed: 99%, Points required for next Level: 2
    Achievements:
    Flagship MemberThree FriendsCreated Blog entryPoster ChildVeteran
    Top Middle. BZZZZT! No, respawning in Blue Base.
    Level
    Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Fragfinger Fragfinger
    Quote Originally Posted by Flu View Post
    I have this magical WSDL2Java stuff that magically unmarshals the XML into Java objects for me. However, these objects only have the "stuff" in them, not the header information. I don't know how to get to the header information to get that username and password.
    So I *think* the default way a SOAPHeader is processed is that it's sort of unbound from the package by the client and the client tries to carry out 'default' processing, whatever that may be. Question: Does this help? This looks like one way to process header vars for 'basic HTTP authentication' which sounds like the worst of all worst ideas.
    Geezer #141

Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

That doesn't really help me, because that's how to add the attributes on the client side. I need to know how to access them on the server side. I feel dumb.