Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Kindle Fire

Prestige 1
    Level completed: 54%, Points required for next Level: 184
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Flagship MemberThree FriendsCreated Blog entryPoster ChildVeteran
    Top Middle. BZZZZT! No, respawning in Blue Base.
    Level
    Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Fragfinger Fragfinger

Kindle Fire

Quote Originally Posted by TechCrunch
    Last Friday, Amazon sent out invites to a press conference being held this coming Wednesday. They didnít give away any details in the invite, but given our scoop earlier this month, everyone assumed it was to unveil the new Kindle tablet. We can now confirm this is correct. And we know a bit more.

On Wednesday morning in New York City, Amazon will unveil the Kindle Fire. Yes, this is the name Amazon has settled on, to help differentiate the product from the e-ink Kindles, which will still be very much alive and for sale. And while Amazon CEO Jeff Bezos will show off the Fire on stage, it wonít be ready to ship until the second week of November, weíve learned.

Everything weíve previously reported on the hardware remains the same. It will be a 7-inch backlit display tablet that looks similar to the BlackBerry PlayBook. Gdgtís Ryan Block was able to dig up a bit more about the connection. Apparently, the Kindle Fire looks like a PlayBook because it was designed and built by the same original design manufacturer (ODM), Quanta. Even though Amazon has their own team dedicated to Kindle design and development, Lab 126, they wanted to get the Fire out there in time for this holiday season so they outsourced most of it as a shortcut.

Blockís sources seem very wary of this shortcut move. But having played with a DVT model myself, I can assure you that itís better than the PlayBook because the software is better and, more importantly, the content available is much better. Amazon has built their own custom version of Android (that looks nothing like Android) and it utilizes their own Android Appstore. While that store doesnít offer all the apps found in Googleís Android Market, Amazon has been rounding up the big app makers to get them on board for the Fire launch, Iím told.

Amazon has also been inking last-minute deals with the likes of Fox for movies and TV shows through their streaming video service which will be a key part of the Fire. And they have several publishers on board for magazine offerings, as Peter Kafka reports today. The Fire will rely heavily on Amazonís MP3 service and, of course, the Kindle bookstore.

One thing I wasnít sure about when I saw the device was if there would be an email client. I didnít see one, but I thought maybe I missed it. Turns out there wonít be one included by default. Instead, youíll be able to get one through the Appstore, or you can use the browser.

Another thing I wasnít sure about was the chip inside of the device. Iíve now learned itís a TI dual-core OMAP chip. This is the same chip used inside many newer Android devices. The PlayBook also uses it. Iím not sure what the clock-speed of the CPU will be, but Iíd guess 1.2 GHz. This will make it significantly faster than the rival Nook Color, which uses a single core 800 MHz OMAP.

ButÖ

Sources also suggest that Barnes & Noble is on the verge of launching the Nook Color 2 next month. In fact, that may play into Amazonís timing here. Theyíre announcing the device well over a month before it will be available. Sources suggest that the Nook Color 2 will feature a 1.2 GHz OMAP chip, with a focus on displaying multimedia content better. There will also be a focus on streaming content and a big increase in the number of apps available, weíre told.

The Nook Color 2 will also be built on top of Gingerbread, Android 2.3, we hear. That would put it ahead of the Kindle Fire, which is believed to be based on Android 2.1. Again, neither of them look anything like Android, but the APIs available are key when it comes to the Android version.

And then thereís the issue of the price. While the Nook Color 2 is expected to retail for the same $250 that the current Nook Color does (and the original one may drop to $200), the pricing of the Kindle Fire is a bit of a mystery right now. Originally, we were told it would be the same $250. But there have also been whispers floating around that it could be $300.

We also originally heard that Amazon Prime would be included, as a big enticement for would-be buyers. That may be off the table for now as well ó but itís not yet clear. Itís possible Amazon will release one version with Prime included for $300 and a version without it for $250. Getting Amazon Prime for $50 would still be a deal, since itís normally $79 for the year.

Thatís all for now. All will be revealed on Wednesday. Below, the excellent mockup my colleague Greg made based on what I saw.
    Geezer #141

Squidge of the Seven Seas
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 30.0%
    Achievements:
    VeteranYour first GroupOverdriveFlagship MemberCreated Blog entry
    Level
    Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: SquidgeyFlint SquidgeyFlint
    PSN ID: SquidgeyFlint SquidgeyFlint Steam ID: SquidgeyFlint
    Press release at 7am pacific time today (in about 6 minutes)

Achievements:
    Level
    Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2011-0...re-tablet.html

7" Tablet, $199

Quote Originally Posted by Bloomberg
    The Kindle Fire doesn’t have an embedded camera or a microphone. The device offers Wi-Fi connectivity, though not 3G access, and comes with a 30-day free trial of Amazon Prime, the company’s $79-a-year membership service that includes streaming video and free two-day shipping.

Amazon has painted over the rough surfaces of Google’s Android operating system with a fresh and easy-to-use interface and tied the device closely to its own large and growing content library of movies, magazines and music. Cambridge, Massachusetts-based Forrester Research Inc. predicts the tablet market will grow 51 percent a year through 2015.

Invented the Question Mark
    Achievements:
    Created Blog entryFlagship MemberOverdrivePoster ChildTagger First Class
    Awards:
    Discussion EnderCalendar Award
    The greater Lexington area of kiss my a**
    Level
    Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: flu13 flu13
    Wow. Nice.

How long until it's rooted?

Prestige 1
    Level completed: 54%, Points required for next Level: 184
    Achievements:
    Flagship MemberThree FriendsCreated Blog entryPoster ChildVeteran
    Top Middle. BZZZZT! No, respawning in Blue Base.
    Level
    Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Fragfinger Fragfinger
    Quote Originally Posted by Flu View Post
    How long until it's rooted?
    I give it until yesterday.
    Geezer #141

Achievements:
    Level
    Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

Also announced, the Kindle Touch (e-ink) for $99 (ad supported)
    http://news.consumerreports.org/elec...ok-reader.html

Prestige 1
    Level completed: 13%, Points required for next Level: 175
    Overall activity: 70.0%
    Achievements:
    1 year registeredFlagship MemberPoster ChildCreated Blog entry5000 Experience Points
    Level
    Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Zero Drop Soul Zero Drop Soul
    PSN ID: Zero_Drop_Soul Zero_Drop_Soul
    I now know what is the at the top of my Christmas list. Of course, it will probably be sold out until well after Christmas.

Posting is my hobby
    Level completed: 17%, Points required for next Level: 333
    Achievements:
    Flagship MemberCreated Blog entryYour first Group1 year registeredTagger Second Class

Level
    Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: GrnMtnDragon GrnMtnDragon
    I've been waiting for this for sometime now, but will wait for the 10" model that won't be available until after the holidays. That is of course pending reviews of the 7" version being good.

Prestige 1
    Level completed: 6%, Points required for next Level: 189
    Achievements:
    Flagship MemberCreated Blog entryTagger Second ClassPoster ChildThree Friends
    Level
    Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: War1n War1n
    Wow. Nice price point and it looks like a pretty slick device! I love my iPad 2 so I am not going to switch, but I love to see more good quality tablets come out... as it means more development on all fronts to build good mobile experiences for all tablet users.

No matter where you go, there you are.

Post Enthusiast
    Level completed: 93%, Points required for next Level: 22
    Overall activity: 10.0%
    Achievements:
    Flagship MemberThree FriendsPoster ChildTagger Second Class25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by GrnMtnDragon View Post
    I've been waiting for this for sometime now, but will wait for the 10" model that won't be available until after the holidays. That is of course pending reviews of the 7" version being good.
    There's a 10" model also coming out? Any info on that?