Level completed: 50%, Points required for next Level: 100
    Overall activity: 17.0%
    Achievements:
    1 year registeredFlagship MemberPoster Child1000 Experience Points

Level
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Wrightfellow Wrightfellow

My first Battlefield vs. COD impressions

So I've been playing the BF3 demo. It's the first BF game I've ever played and I'm finally starting to understand the argument between these two games. In one instance, with BF, you have what feels like a "combat sim". Or the closest thing since the old Ghost Recon days. Everything feels true to life. The sounds (amazing sounds, IMO; sounded like audio from a combat correspondence video), the bullet damage, the scale of maps, the absolute emphasis for camping, etc. I don't know what it's like with vehicles but all the typical descriptions of the game make sense now. This game definitely demands more commmunication, more camping, more tactical recon/report/support/attack type of coordination. Again, it feels like a combat sim.

I've liked the game so far. But afterward, I slipped COD back in the tray and couldn't believe the difference. For me, COD is just more intense, more visceral. It plays soooo much faster. I also forgot how much I love killstreaks. Those really give you a sense of momentum. And perks? Now I appreciate those even more. Perks seems to give you more versatility. You can play a map very differently based on what perks you have--never mind your loadouts.

Oh, and I think I hate BF3's aim-down-sight mechanic. Or rather, I hate how the recoil is so strong that I can't even focus my fire for more than two bursts. Is that realistic? Sure. But is it fun? Not for me.

In the end, I'm definitely a COD guy. But the BF3 demo was a unique experience, a nice change of pace, and I'll pick it up later next year. Just to cleanse the COD palette, at least. Good game, just not my style. Your thoughts?

Post Whore
    Level completed: 55%, Points required for next Level: 68
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    1 year registeredFlagship MemberPoster ChildThree Friends1000 Experience Points
    currently being Tbagged somewhere in Halo Matchmaking
    Level
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Ortho 4 Ortho 4
    I don't want my video games to be realistic, I want them to be fun. .

Post Enthusiast
    Level completed: 3%, Points required for next Level: 485
    Overall activity: 80.0%
    Achievements:
    Flagship MemberPoster ChildTagger Second ClassThree FriendsCreated Blog entry
    Level
    Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

PSN ID: CuttyCantHang CuttyCantHang
    COD was fun. But it has become the FPS version of Madden. It's basically the same exact thing release after release. COD has grown stale IMO. Other than offering the pay-for-premium features MW3 looks identical to MW2.

And this is kinda crazy:
    http://www.next-gen.biz/news/modern-...cing-announced

Say 7up!

Old-Timer
    Level completed: 81%, Points required for next Level: 29
    Overall activity: 60.0%
    Achievements:
    Flagship MemberPoster Child1 year registered1000 Experience Points

Level
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: RageofKronos RageofKronos
    I really wouldn't judge Battlefield on a beta version of a game. If you want to make a comparison at least try Bad Company 2, even though it was a departure from the BF formula.
    One huge advantage of BF games is the people that play them. Another is just the way you play it. If you love to run-n-gun, COD is for you. Personally, I'm more of a Clancey/BF person, but that's why there ware different games out there.

Site Founder
    Level completed: 20%, Points required for next Level: 161
    Overall activity: 60.0%
    Achievements:
    VeteranFlagship MemberOverdriveYour first GroupTagger First Class
    Duvall, WA. Over the river and through the woods from Microsoft.
    Level
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Jamey T Jamey T
    Huge maps. Buildings droping on someone's head. Vehicles. Wait till the final copy to judge between them.

In the end, they are pretty different types of games (despite looking pretty similar)

Senior Post Enthusiast
    Level completed: 77%, Points required for next Level: 117
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Flagship MemberCreated Blog entryCreated Album picturesPoster ChildTagger First Class
    Level
    Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: MidnightGhostGF MidnightGhostGF
    Quote Originally Posted by Jameyt View Post
    In the end, they are pretty different types of games (despite looking pretty similar)
    Clear, concise, and to the point.... Jamey's reply should be included in the first post of every thread that compares these games.

I'm looking for a FPS game that bumps COD from always being in the drive of my 360 when I boot it up. In the last several years a number of games have taken a shot at dethroning COD and failed. Most recently I thought MOH might be that game and then I thought Homefront would definitely be it. This fall I thought BF3 would be it but have liked next to nothing about the beta. Normally I would say don't judge a game by the beta but being only weeks from release the beta should be much tighter. I have heard that the beta is from an earlier build so that's the root of the issues. If that's the case why even do have the beta, what's the point of checking for bugs if the certified copy of the game is one or more increments ahead of the beta code?

Throwing our the bugs, even based on things that appear to work as designed I won't be picking this up at release. They haven't shown me anything that would keep me from rolling full time back into COD when it hits so I'm not going to spend the money. I'll probably pick it up later to play the campaign.

All of that said, I know there are bunches of folks that will pick it up and like it. BF just isn't the series for me.... I'm holding out hope that Respawn Entertainment will roll out a killer title in 2012.

Veteran Poster
    Level completed: 88%, Points required for next Level: 6
    Overall activity: 5.0%
    Achievements:
    Flagship MemberPoster ChildOverdrive7 days registered250 Experience Points
    the sunny sunshine state..they used to launch spaceships around here.now,not so much.
    Level
    Gamer IDs

PSN ID: WolfmanXIII WolfmanXIII
    i gotta agree with everyone saying they are two vastly different experiences..my time with the BF3 beta,well lets just say the first day or two i was extremely frustrated,but i started to play the way i was being told to play to succeed,squad up cover your angles,move the squad forward tactically like a swat team clearing rooms..i also thought the prone mechanics were pretty sweet,like in call of duty when you go prone your movement seems neutered,but in BF3 you seem to have alittle more realistic agility on yo' belly..in the end i had fun,just not as much fun as i have in the meat grinder that is call of duty free for all..lol..nothing like coming in in the top three

Prestige 1
    Level completed: 6%, Points required for next Level: 142
    Overall activity: 23.0%
    Achievements:
    1 year registeredFlagship MemberThree FriendsPoster Child1000 Experience Points

Level
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: SHAP ATTAK SHAP ATTAK
    PSN ID: ShapAttak ShapAttak
    I'm waiting to judge the multiplayer although I tend to favor the BF3 style. As for single player, I'm much more excited about the MW3 campaign. The new trailer makes it looks fantastic. I've always enjoyed the COD campaigns and this one looks like it won't disappoint. Personally, I'd much rather play the 'Michael Bay-style' COD campaign than the more realistic campaign that I've seen in the BF3 trailers.