Page 30 of 71 FirstFirst ... 20282930313240 ... LastLast

Thread: Spartanhawk Random Topics Thread

Senior Post Enthusiast
    Level completed: 32%, Points required for next Level: 340
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Created Album picturesYour first GroupCreated Blog entryTagger Second ClassFlagship Member
    Level
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Empty Bag Empty Bag
    Quote Originally Posted by EdieKaye View Post
    I'll play. Please put up a reminder a day or two in advance. I'm old, I forget things.
    Me too. I'll gladly get my ass handed to me. I've barely played the campaign and haven't even tried MM yet.

Prestige 1
    Level completed: 15%, Points required for next Level: 170
    Overall activity: 96.0%
    Achievements:
    Poster ChildFlagship MemberThree FriendsOverdriveTagger Second Class
    Level
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Callsign Mike Callsign Mike
    Quote Originally Posted by EmptyBag View Post
    Me too. I'll gladly get my ass handed to me. I've barely played the campaign and haven't even tried MM yet.
    Instead of sifting through the BF3 threads, here is my quick noob guide. Some of this may be flat out wrong as I am a noob at the game, but I think it's generally correct. Might be helpful, but nothing beats a bit of in-game experience:

The visual cues for enemies are much less distinct than in Halo. Unless you are in hardcore mode, there is no friendly fire so shoot everything that moves until you're used to things. Enemies that have been spotted will have a small orange tag above them with a health meter (and a star if squad leader), if they haven't been tagged they won't have any real indicator. There are US and Russian forces in the game, but with 4 distinct classes and customizable fatigues by the time you decide if you should shoot, if it is an enemy you'll be down.

Kill times, compared to Halo, are 1,000X faster. Weapons behave as you'd expect from the real world--shotguns are lethal in close quarters, not so much a stone's throw away. A sniper head shot is a kill, but it might take a few to the torso to drop someone. Environments are destructible and bullets penetrate, so standing behind something may or may not give you cover depending on what someone is shooting your way. In a tank and have people hiding in buildings near by? Blow out the walls (and it just looks so very cool....) A kill is 100 points, but if you put damage on someone you get points up to the amount of damage you did in your assist score (e.g., if you do 25% damage then someone else finishes the kill, you get 25 points)

There is bullet drop, so if you're aiming over distance you need to compensate. The drop depends on the weapon and rounds being fired. There are hit markers that are helpful when you land shots. Burst firing automatic weapons is helpful. You'll start out with iron sights, but scopes and such become available pretty quickly as you level up. Most sniper scopes give off a tell-tale 'glint' when people are scoped in, so if you see a flash on distant rocks it isn't the sunshine but someone lining you up.

If you shoot in someone's general direction, you are providing "suppressing fire" and it actually blurs their vision. The good part is that if someone kills who you are suppressing, you get points.

The back button 'spots' enemies and puts them on everyone's radar. So anytime you are looking at an enemy (down sights or aiming at them) and you spot, they light up with a marker on the screen and mini map. Again, if they get killed by someone else, you get points. It's a good idea to spot everything near and far, even those you're shooting at just in case they get away.

The D pad gets used a lot: it is how you use your class gadgets (i.e., assault has a med kit) when you level up you'll have other things (i.e., assault can choose a defibrillator or grenade launcher)--play your class. If you are playing assault--toss down health packs around corners, high traffic areas, and when you see your squad taking damage. You get points for doing so. Engineers can repair vehicles, support provides ammo. I'd recommend starting in either assault or support. You can switch classes, weapons, gadgets each respawn. Also, the D pad can change automatic weapons to single shot, etc. Otherwise the default controller layout is sort of a hybrid COD and Halo. Not too terrible to get used to, I think. You can crouch and go prone. Prone is a good way to use cover if you are taking damage. There is a lot less 'nade spam, so if you go into cover when damaged you might actually survive it unlike in Halo.

Play the objective for big points. The game type 'conquest' is a capture the flag game. Once you secure a flag site, defend it (both give you big points..see a pattern forming yet?). Rush is a gametype where one group defends objectives, the other attacks objectives. Attackers try to blow up the objectives (think arming the bomb in Halo). Team death match is straight slayer, squad death match is 4 person squad slayer.

You can spawn in to a 'safe' spawn zone (though people can camp the periphery), onto a squad member (even into a vehicle), or to a spawn beacon put down by a recon class player. Look at what is happening before you choose. Unlike Halo, if your squad mate is under fire, you CAN spawn in on them and that can either make you an instant hero or just another hapless victim.

Vehicles are damned confusing as each has different controller layouts; however, it's easy to ride shotgun on anything in engineer class. You can repair damage and run a secondary gun. You also get some points for kills that happen as a passenger (I think).

You can knife people in close quarters. Similar to Halo, if you knife from behind there is an animation where you pull off the victim's dogtags. The tags stay in your service record.

So, that is it for now. I'm excited about next week! It'll be fun to link up the BF3 geezers and the 'hawks.

Old-Timer
    Level completed: 32%, Points required for next Level: 68
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    1 year registered1000 Experience PointsPoster ChildFlagship Member
    Level
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Darth Tabasco Darth Tabasco
    Quote Originally Posted by Horathgar72 View Post
    It isn't often that I know for certain a day and time that I'll be on other than for Monday practice, but I know the wife has book club next Wednesday. Sounded like several 'hawks were potentially interested in playing a little Battlefield 3, so how about a Spartanhawk (and friends) Battlefield 3 night next Wednesday (June 20th--the first day of summer) at 8 or 9 EST? That'll give folks over a week to get familiar with the controls and game mechanics, particularly if you haven't ventured into the game for many months. I know that may conflict with Arena night for a few people.

Here are the folks I know have BF3: Me, Ken McCoy, Prego, Edie, Empty, Chaos, Twin Jedi, and Mooch. Anyone else that is interested can feel free to join up for the evening (send a FR if you aren't on one of the aforementioned folks list). There are a lot of geezers in BF3 nightly, so we can probably party up and get in some games if there is interest.
    The group I normally play with has a BF3 Group Night every Thursday. We have our own server, so no worries about cheaters ruining things for others. We generally get started early (6:00 PM CST) and play for a bit. Send me a message if interested. If we get enough we can close the server off to just us and let people mess about trying to fly and drive...lol

I really enjoy the vehicle play in BF3. I enjoy tanks and jeeps and am trying to learn choppers (I fail with jets). Overall, I'm pretty terrible at the game but it is a fun change of pace from Halo and I like that I can contribute in ways other than just getting kills. In fact, the best way to get points is to support your team and go for objectives instead of slaying.

Chatty Cathy
    Level completed: 46%, Points required for next Level: 82
    Achievements:
    Flagship MemberPoster ChildThree Friends1000 Experience Points1 year registered
    Level
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Prego Magic Prego Magic
    I haven't been on since they did the new server deal. but I'm definitely down for next wednesday even if I don't get to play a lot with you guys (real life stuff going on) but If you don't mind Darth I'd like to get in with you guys on a thursday if thats cool with you.

Old-Timer
    Level completed: 32%, Points required for next Level: 68
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    1 year registered1000 Experience PointsPoster ChildFlagship Member
    Level
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Darth Tabasco Darth Tabasco
    Quote Originally Posted by Prego Magic View Post
    I haven't been on since they did the new server deal. but I'm definitely down for next wednesday even if I don't get to play a lot with you guys (real life stuff going on) but If you don't mind Darth I'd like to get in with you guys on a thursday if thats cool with you.
    That would be awesome Prego. Send me a FR.

The good thing about having our own server is that cheaters and spawn killers are immediately booted and banned. We can also make our own map and gametype rotation, so we have a mixture of Conquest, Rush, Team and Squad Deathmatch.

Chatty Cathy
    Achievements:
    Level
    Gamer IDs

Cool cool thank Darth I'll do that right now.. and another random thing... One of my earlier posts had me and a friend of mine who made a master chief suit... well he told me about this website 405th.com and now I'm hooked.. I wanna make one so dang bad!!!!

Prestige 1
    Level completed: 99%, Points required for next Level: 4
    Overall activity: 16.0%
    Achievements:
    Flagship Member1 year registeredThree FriendsPoster ChildTagger First Class
    http://www.youtube.com/user/AddiCt3d2CHa0s?feature=mhee
    Level
    Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: AddiCt3d 2CHa0s AddiCt3d 2CHa0s
    Wii Code: AA HaloDiehards
    Quote Originally Posted by EdieKaye View Post
    I'll play. Please put up a reminder a day or two in advance. I'm old, I forget things.
    ditto!

Senior Post Whore
    Level completed: 99%, Points required for next Level: 2
    Achievements:
    Level
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: LBar5 LBar5
    Where is everyone? ... oh yeah, playing Halo ... at least I hope they are; I can't I live vicariously if they aren't ...

Prestige 1
    Level completed: 15%, Points required for next Level: 170
    Overall activity: 96.0%
    Achievements:
    Poster ChildFlagship MemberThree FriendsOverdriveTagger Second Class
    Level
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Callsign Mike Callsign Mike
    Yah, very quiet 'round these parts.

FYI--for anyone Battlefield curious, this weekend is a double XP event on all maps, all gametypes in matchmaking

Chatty Cathy
    Achievements:
    Level
    Gamer IDs

Ok cool thanks Mike! Im gonna have to play some now... and yea it has been very quiet round these parts lately