Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Frustrated with MW3

Seriously? 2.0
    Level completed: 41%, Points required for next Level: 59
    Overall activity: 30.0%
    Achievements:
    Poster ChildFlagship Member1 year registered1000 Experience Points

Level
    I'd been having the same issues as many of you with sync and lag-comp. Falling over dead and having an enemy draw in AFTER he killed me, getting apparently one-shot by SMGs, emptying an entire mag into someone only to have them turn around kill me with a single shot, all the things that demonstrate the ineptitude of IW's netcode team. The interesting thing about my situation is that I live immediately adjacent to Timmy 2 Wide, in the same apartment complex, with the same ISP, so we should have the same external network infrastructure. I have a brand new cable modem, a decent router, fully wired connections, and I even have a higher bandwidth cable package than Timmy does. When I connected wirelessly to Timmy's network, most of these problems disappear!

I decided to try to emulate Timmy's connection as best I can. Since my Linksys router has limited QoS options, I downloaded and flashed the dd-wrt freeware firmware. I cranked my uplink and downlink speeds down to match Timmy's, reestablished my port forwarding to open my NAT, and voila, better connection quality to MW3. It's still not perfect: I'm often clearly behind some members of the enemy team, and I still play with rubber bullets occasionally, but now it's one or two timmies instead of the entire enemy team, and I seem to have gotten rid of the Darrian Fawkes kills.

I am still trying to find optimal settings for me, but the weird thing is that I'm seeing decent results at 3M down/1M up. This shouldn't make any practical difference from my usual 30 down/5 up. There is simply no way MW3 can fill either bandwidth, there really shouldn't be any detectable difference for me. I'm going to keep tweaking my settings. If I find any sweet spots, I'll let you know.

Senior Post Whore
    Level completed: 90%, Points required for next Level: 16
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    1 year registeredFlagship MemberPoster Child1000 Experience Points

Level
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Ima Toole Ima Toole
    Quote Originally Posted by Frakir View Post
    I'd been having the same issues as many of you with sync and lag-comp. Falling over dead and having an enemy draw in AFTER he killed me, getting apparently one-shot by SMGs, emptying an entire mag into someone only to have them turn around kill me with a single shot, all the things that demonstrate the ineptitude of IW's netcode team. The interesting thing about my situation is that I live immediately adjacent to Timmy 2 Wide, in the same apartment complex, with the same ISP, so we should have the same external network infrastructure. I have a brand new cable modem, a decent router, fully wired connections, and I even have a higher bandwidth cable package than Timmy does. When I connected wirelessly to Timmy's network, most of these problems disappear!

I decided to try to emulate Timmy's connection as best I can. Since my Linksys router has limited QoS options, I downloaded and flashed the dd-wrt freeware firmware. I cranked my uplink and downlink speeds down to match Timmy's, reestablished my port forwarding to open my NAT, and voila, better connection quality to MW3. It's still not perfect: I'm often clearly behind some members of the enemy team, and I still play with rubber bullets occasionally, but now it's one or two timmies instead of the entire enemy team, and I seem to have gotten rid of the Darrian Fawkes kills.

I am still trying to find optimal settings for me, but the weird thing is that I'm seeing decent results at 3M down/1M up. This shouldn't make any practical difference from my usual 30 down/5 up. There is simply no way MW3 can fill either bandwidth, there really shouldn't be any detectable difference for me. I'm going to keep tweaking my settings. If I find any sweet spots, I'll let you know.
    So what you're saying is that Timmy's connection is so sh*tty that you can't even slow yours down enough to match it? Or that Timmy is the dirty modder we always suspected he was?

I kid, I kid. I don't think he's dirty at all.

Senior Post Enthusiast
    Level completed: 93%, Points required for next Level: 15
    Achievements:
    Flagship MemberThree FriendsPoster ChildVeteran5000 Experience Points
    Level
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: ThinkKillMeNow ThinkKillMeNow
    Quote Originally Posted by Frakir View Post

I would think that down would not matter as much its you up that is going to determine if you are the host or not so I would dial that down and see if that helps.

Knowing others is intelligence; Knowing yourself is true wisdom.
    Mastering others is strength; Mastering yourself is true power.

Senior Post Enthusiast
    Level completed: 48%, Points required for next Level: 261
    Achievements:
    1 year registeredFlagship MemberThree FriendsCreated Album picturesCreated Blog entry
    Awards:
    Master TaggerArm of Law
    Level
    Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: klyde99 klyde99
    Quote Originally Posted by Toole View Post
    Or that Timmy is the dirty modder we always suspected he was?
    I think that about sums it up...

Joint Chief for DTH
    освобождай яблоку

Chatty Cathy
    Level completed: 51%, Points required for next Level: 74
    Achievements:
    1 year registered1000 Experience PointsFlagship MemberThree FriendsPoster Child
    Level
    I am really just getting back into MW3 since it came out. I have been deep in Gears 3 and skyrim that I could not get away. When I got BO, I took the day off from work and played until level 32 on the first day and was hooked. MW3, I just turned over to level 37 playing with Bronx the other night and reconnected with the team atmosphere I was missing for a long time with the geezers. It took a long time to get back into MW3 as I just didn't get into it, I didn't have the 'spark' like I did with BO.
    Yesterday I reserved Borderlands 2! Can't wait to get a good 100 hours into that game! I think MW3 will tide me over until then.

Post Enthusiast
    Level completed: 43%, Points required for next Level: 86
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    1000 Experience PointsFlagship MemberVeteranPoster ChildThree Friends
    Level
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: True Animosity True Animosity
    Vince, I loved COD4, I really didnt care for MW2, the other one was horrific, and BO was better then MW2. As for MW3, it just took me finding what I enjoyed doing. I hate the assault rifles, I mainly run subs and snipers. But C4 tossing is a blast and is my favorite thing, its a grenade you can detonate at anytime. I hope you would give it another shot and just find what works for you as I did.