Beta will start on October 5th.
Beta will start on October 5th.
Looking forward to hearing what you all think of the beta. I am going to wait to post something until I get some more time in but I will say that I am not very impressed so far.
I have a few hours into it and here are my initial impressions:
1) The graphics aren't that great in my opinion. I know many of you are getting it on the PC so this won't apply as much. I don't know what I was expecting and I am not usually a stickler for graphics. I am just underwhelmed with what I see. Plus, I don't like any map or race where it takes place at night. I wish they had used a daytime map for the beta.
2) The guns I have unlocked so far don't feel different to me. The sound of the gunfire isn't that impressive which surprised me since I always thought BF3 and MoH had great audio all of the way around. The ambient sounds are strong as well as the gunfire around you.
3) The mode they picked feels very chaotic. I like it but I am not sure it is the best mode to pick when people are trying to get the hang of the game.
4) Fireteams are a love/hate thing for me. I really like the idea of being able to resupply and heal your squad mate. I was fortunate enough to get into games with some folks who worked with me on that. Got ourselves out of some sticky situations by running together. That said, I really hate the glow that it puts around your team and enemies. The enemies that kill your squad mate become red afterwards. You can see them through walls. It sucked because I would open fire on them not knowing if they were behind cover or not. The foliage and overall darkness of the map makes it hard to tell sometimes. So, I fire and give away my position without any chance of hitting someone. I just don't like being able to see through walls. UAV...sure...but not this.
5) Menus are awful. I can't tell what to do and it appears like I have unlocks when I don't. I know it isn't a huge deal but it was really aggravating trying to customize what I could and not knowing how to do it. Plus, the menu gives you cues when you have some upgrade or change you can make. It puts a number inside of a blue circle by the heading for various things. That number kept changing on me everytime I would go in and out of menus.
Overall, I think this is a competent shooter but am not sure if it will be great. Sector Control is a great mode and think that would have been a really good beta mode to use. I really liked MoH but the lack of Dice's involvement on this one shows to me. Warfighter just doesn't seem to have what MoH did for me. I can't put my finger on it...call it a feeling I get. Despite the flaws, MoH got its hooks into me for some reason.
I loaded the game....saw the crappy graphics, experienced poor hit detection, and promptly deleted the beta.
The last MoH got my money, much to my chagrin. This one won't.
I have to admit that my feelings for this game have changed. I put in a few hours today and leveled up with some new weapons. I actually had a ton of fun and the people on my teams were really playing together which added to it. I have had a few games were my fire team partner would just run off for kills and forget the objective. You can't fault the game though since people do that in every objective game mode shooter.
I don't know. Swinging pretty hard back to picking this up.
My first impression was kinda.. mmm not sure, but after that I gave it more time and I love it.
The PC graphics and keyboard/mouse will make a huge differce on the PC version. I'm keeping my preorder