Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Fallout from Mass Effect 3: The Endening (SPOILERS)

Prestige 1
    Level completed: 99%, Points required for next Level: 2
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Flagship MemberThree FriendsCreated Blog entryPoster ChildVeteran
    Top Middle. BZZZZT! No, respawning in Blue Base.
    Level
    Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Fragfinger Fragfinger

Free* DLC Pack to Provide Additional Cinematic Scenes to the Ending of Mass Effect 3

Free* DLC Pack to Provide Additional Cinematic Scenes to the Ending of Mass Effect 3 this Summer

REDWOOD CITY, Calif.--(BUSINESS WIRE)-- BioWare, a Label of Electronic Arts Inc. announced Mass Effect™ 3: Extended Cut, a downloadable content pack that will expand upon the events at the end of the critically acclaimed Action RPG. Through additional cinematic sequences and epilogue scenes, the Mass Effect 3: Extended Cut will give fans seeking further clarity to the ending of Mass Effect 3 deeper insights into how their personal journey concludes. Coming this summer, the Mass Effect 3: Extended Cut will be available for download on the Xbox 360® videogame and entertainment system, PlayStation®3 computer entertainment system and PC for no extra charge*.

"We are all incredibly proud of Mass Effect 3 and the work done by Casey Hudson and team," said Dr. Ray Muzyka, Co-Founder of BioWare and General Manager of EA's BioWare Label. "Since launch, we have had time to listen to the feedback from our most passionate fans and we are responding. With the Mass Effect 3: Extended Cut we think we have struck a good balance in delivering the answers players are looking for while maintaining the team's artistic vision for the end of this story arc in the Mass Effect universe."

Casey Hudson, Executive Producer of the Mass Effect series added, "We have reprioritized our post-launch development efforts to provide the fans who want more closure with even more context and clarity to the ending of the game, in a way that will feel more personalized for each player."

The Mass Effect franchise is one of the most highly decorated series in the history of games, having earned over 250 awards from critics around the world. Mass Effect 3 launched last month to universal critical acclaim, receiving over 75 perfect scores. For more information on Mass Effect 3, please visit http://masseffect.com, follow the game on Twitter at http://twitter.com/masseffect or "like" the game on Facebook at http://facebook.com/masseffect. Press assets for Mass Effect 3 are available at www.info.ea.com.
    http://investor.ea.com/releasedetail...leaseID=662095
    Geezer #141

Prestige 1
    Level completed: 76%, Points required for next Level: 48
    Achievements:
    Flagship MemberPoster ChildTagger First ClassVeteran5000 Experience Points
    Level
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Sir Huck A Lot Sir Huck A Lot
    this resolution does nothing for me. i'm sure it will be lovely, but the fact remains that after playing through three games where my choices seemed to matter, they, in fact, do not.

Old-Timer
    Level completed: 24%, Points required for next Level: 76
    Achievements:
    Poster ChildFlagship Member1 year registered1000 Experience Points

Level
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Mikey Mud Mikey Mud
    After completing this game long after everyone else, reading all the negative feedback regarding the ending, I found the ending not as unpalatable as I expected. I felt a little melancholy that my journey through the Mass Effect trilogy was over, and I liked the sappy little bookending after the credits had rolled.

So...I'm against this enhanced DLC in principle - first, because I feel like Bioware has been forced into it, and second, because it's pandering to a certain subset of gamers who may or may not (certainly not in my case) represent everyone who's taken part in the ME universe.

As to whether the choices mattered or not, I knew that they would not when I completed Mass Effect 2. The RPG elements in Bioware's games have been toned down so much, that this was not a surprise. It was Bioware's universe, and I got to play in it for a little while, but I never felt like I owned it enough to make that much a difference.

Prestige 1
    Achievements:
    Level
    Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

Right, that's fine. I still think the ending was weak, but not conspicuously so (this is, after all, a video game and not War and Peace). However, here are eleven reasons I think the ending is objectively bad:

“In Mass Effect 3, you know you need to take back Earth, but the path to victory is less clear at the outset. You won’t just find some long-lost Reaper “off” button," - Casey Hudson

“Don’t expect to win the loyalty of the galaxy by simply completing a series of fetch quests” - Casey Hudson

“… part of what you’re trying to do is save the universe so you can live in it. That’s part of the promise, I think, for any great IP. It has to be a world worth saving… I think Mass Effect has that quality to it. If you get rid of the Reapers and win that, wouldn’t it be amazing to just live on the Citadel or just take a ship to Omega? That makes sense.” - Casey Hudson

"There are many different endings. We wouldn’t do it any other way. How could you go through all three campaigns playing as your Shepard and then be forced into a bespoke ending that everyone gets?" - Mike Gamble

"It’s not even in any way like the traditional game endings,where you can say how many endings there are or whether you got ending A, B, or C.....The endings have a lot more sophistication and variety in them.” - Casey Hudson

“[The presence of the Rachni] has huge consequences in Mass Effect 3. Even just in the final battle with the Reapers.” - Mac Walters

“And, to be honest, you [the fans] are crafting your Mass Effect story as much as we are anyway.” - Mike Gamble

“Because a lot of these plot threads are concluding and because it's being brought to a finale, since you were a part of architecting how they got to how they were, you will definitely sense how they close was because of the decisions you made and because of the decisions you didn't make” - Mike Gamble

“Fans want to make sure that they see things resolved, they want to get some closure, a great ending. I think they’re going to get that.” - Casey Hudson

“The whole idea of Mass Effect 3 is resolving all of the biggest questions, about the Protheons and the Reapers, and being in the driver's seat to end the galaxy and all of these big plot lines, to decide what civilizations are going to live or die: All of these things are answered in Mass Effect 3.” - Casey Hudson

“There is a huge set of consequences that start stacking up as you approach the end-game. And even in terms of the ending itself, it continues to break down to some very large decisions. So it's not like a classic game ending where everything is linear and you make a choice between a few things - it really does layer in many, many different choices, up to the final moments, where it's going to be different for everyone who plays it.” - Casey Hudson
    Simply put, the product was not as described.
    Geezer #141

Old-Timer
    Level completed: 24%, Points required for next Level: 76
    Achievements:
    Poster ChildFlagship Member1 year registered1000 Experience Points

Level
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Mikey Mud Mikey Mud
    Quote Originally Posted by Dai View Post
    Right, that's fine. I still think the ending was weak, but not conspicuously so (this is, after all, a video game and not War and Peace). However, here are eleven reasons I think the ending is objectively bad:

Simply put, the product was not as described.
    Yeah, I've seen quite a few people throw the developers' quotes back in their faces, quoting these as their source of disappointment. That's fine, and again, this is one of those times where - although I say I'm a big fan of Bioware and their games - I just can't be bothered to peek behind the curtain. I think that the creative process is an interesting one, and I'm certainly no expert in creating computer games, but I'm sure plans change along the way, either due to technical limitations or narrative ones.

Anyway, I try to not buy into the hype before game release, and I try to avoid most stories or promises from developers and fanboys, and this may be one of those times that I was not disappointed in doing just that. Sometimes if you set the bar high enough, you create expectations that no one can reach. Peter Molyneux taught me that.

Prestige 1
    Achievements:
    Level
    Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

Quote Originally Posted by mikey mud View Post
    Yeah, I've seen quite a few people throw the developers' quotes back in their faces, quoting these as their source of disappointment. That's fine, and again, this is one of those times where - although I say I'm a big fan of Bioware and their games - I just can't be bothered to peek behind the curtain. I think that the creative process is an interesting one, and I'm certainly no expert in creating computer games, but I'm sure plans change along the way, either due to technical limitations or narrative ones.

Anyway, I try to not buy into the hype before game release, and I try to avoid most stories or promises from developers and fanboys, and this may be one of those times that I was not disappointed in doing just that. Sometimes if you set the bar high enough, you create expectations that no one can reach. Peter Molyneux taught me that.
    We all know not to believe Molyneux's lies...

Anyway, all those quotes are from Bioware guys, specifically the Executive Producer - that is, the product manager of the game, an Associate Producer, that is a project manager with responsibility for commercialization, and the Lead Writer of the game itself, not 'developers and fanboys' as you put it. We were shilled, plain and simple.
    Geezer #141

Prestige 1
    Level completed: 76%, Points required for next Level: 48
    Achievements:
    Flagship MemberPoster ChildTagger First ClassVeteran5000 Experience Points
    Level
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Sir Huck A Lot Sir Huck A Lot
    Anyway, all those quotes are from Bioware guys, specifically the Executive Producer - that is, the product manager of the game, an Associate Producer, that is a project manager with responsibility for commercialization, and the Lead Writer of the game itself, not 'developers and fanboys' as you put it. We were shilled, plain and simple.
    this. if you're going to create massive expectations, you better deliver something. a little bit. some variation. anything.

have you seen the video that runs all 6 possible endings concurrently? it's like the developers were out partying and then realized they had to get back to the office and submit their 6 endings with only 20 minutes to do so. 95% of it is identical. if they don't make all those audacious claims, then fine. they chinsed the ending. but when you go say all of that and then give us 6 endings where the greatest difference is the color of the shock wave? oy...

Squidge of the Seven Seas
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 100.0%
    Achievements:
    VeteranYour first GroupOverdriveFlagship MemberCreated Blog entry
    Level
    Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: SquidgeyFlint SquidgeyFlint
    PSN ID: SquidgeyFlint SquidgeyFlint Steam ID: SquidgeyFlint
    Quote Originally Posted by huckleberry View Post
    this. if you're going to create massive expectations, you better deliver something. a little bit. some variation. anything.

have you seen the video that runs all 6 possible endings concurrently? it's like the developers were out partying and then realized they had to get back to the office and submit their 6 endings with only 20 minutes to do so. 95% of it is identical. if they don't make all those audacious claims, then fine. they chinsed the ending. but when you go say all of that and then give us 6 endings where the greatest difference is the color of the shock wave? oy...
    It really seems like they phoned this one in. There's just so many things that are serious looking shortcuts.

Prestige 1
    Level completed: 46%, Points required for next Level: 218
    Achievements:
    Flagship MemberPoster ChildThree FriendsOverdrive10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: TC Mooch TC Mooch
    Just finished the game and won't be playing it again. I felt like all the decisions I made didn't really do shit in the third game and frankly...I can't be bothered to go through all the same dialog at the end to experience my other choices. If there was an ability to skip the speach, I'd do it...but after doing it twice and the only thing that really changed was the colors of the pulse...I'm not going through "I'm walking slow as shit because I'm hurt" Shepard and the Illusive Man's ramblings and Space Casper's Matrix 2-style drivel just to see a white pulse.

I'll youtube that shit.

Invented the Question Mark
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Achievements:
    Created Blog entryFlagship MemberOverdrivePoster ChildTagger First Class
    Awards:
    Discussion EnderCalendar Award
    The greater Lexington area of kiss my a**
    Level
    Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: flu13 flu13
    Quote Originally Posted by Sven XC View Post
    That being said, I've moved this thread into the 'Shooters' forum as I feel you'll get more traffic for this thread here.
    Dork. I would have never found this thread if Dai hadn't happened to link to it in the RPG forum thread for ME3. :P

Have you come across the 'Indoctrination Theory'? This is the one that states that this inconsistency is intended, that the choices being presented as 'Control the Reapers' (Paragon) and 'Destroy' (Renegade) are the exact opposite of what they should be. In the little explanatory movies when Space Casper is talking about your choices, it actually shows the Illusive Man (Renegade) doing the 'Control' action (Blue / Paragon), and Anderson (Paragon) doing the Red / Renegade / Destroy option. The reasoning is that Shepard is under the influence of Harbinger while the decision takes place.
    Yeah, that actually messed with me at the end of the game. It was made out to be so horrible that the Illusive Man wanted to control the reapers. He was so evil. And yeah, it showed Anderson seemingly destroying the Reapers. So I thought, "Hey, I'm going to do the 'good' thing and destroy the Reapers. It will suck to kill the Geth and maybe even EDI." But then I went for the blue choice, thinking that's what it was. I even thought Joker was hauling such ass so that my blue wave of juju didn't kill EDI.
    You dumb bastard. It's not a schooner, it's a sailboat.