Thread: Ripping CDs, Sonos Advice Sought

Prestige 1
    Level completed: 84%, Points required for next Level: 32
    Overall activity: 10.0%
    Achievements:
    Flagship Member1 year registeredThree FriendsPoster Child10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Enteleki Enteleki

Ripping CDs, Sonos Advice Sought

I have a large collection of CDs that I want to rip to a lossless format for use with a Sonos wireless home music system. I am looking for some advice on the following:

1. My collection is primarily classical music which I am finding extremely tedious to rip myself. The metadata databases available for free suck and I don't want to spend money finding out that the subscription ones are crap as well. I am considering using ReadyToPlay who charges $1.30 per CD, but guarantees consistent and accurate metadata. They are also familiar with Sonos and its limitations so that they can format the metadata usefully. For example, since you are allowed only one artist listing, they use the primary performer or the conductor. The album title is prefaced with the composer's full name so that searching works by Bach can be accomplished. Track data is not given at all. Has anyone had experience with ripping classical CDs or ripping services?

2. The gentleman at ReadyToPlay recommended that I have my CDs ripped to Apples' lossless format, instead of Windows or FLAC. His problem with Windows was that Sonos will not play it. So be it, easy elimination. I explained that I own no Apple devices (iPod, iPad, i-whatever) nor do I use iTunes to purchase nor manage my music. My MP3 player, a 8GB Sansa, plays FLAC and Mp3 fine, however it has not seen the light of day since I purchased my Android phone (Samsung Galaxy S Epic 4G). I don't know if the phone will play Apple or FLAC, but I know it does MP3. Anyway, the lossless formats are so big, that I would probably convert them to MP3 for use on my phone. ReadyToPlay will put the collection in an additional format for a small fee. So how do I choose? Apple Lossless or FLAC? iTunes works on a Windows O/S and has become an industry standard. Does anyone have advice in this regard?

3. Sonos is a wirless home music system. It operates on it's own wireless network and allows you to have several receiving devices that can all play the same music, or different music according to zone. Does anyone one have experience with Sonos? What about another solution? I have three zones in my house that I wish to support.

Elections are no longer a useful agent of change. Our politicians are
    corrupt because they are elected by a corrupt culture. Change the culture.

Squidge of the Seven Seas
    Level completed: 75%, Points required for next Level: 424
    Overall activity: 50.0%
    Achievements:
    VeteranYour first GroupOverdriveFlagship MemberCreated Blog entry
    Level
    Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: SquidgeyFlint SquidgeyFlint
    PSN ID: SquidgeyFlint SquidgeyFlint Steam ID: SquidgeyFlint
    So you can hear the difference b/n some lossless format and max encoding in an MP3?

Senior Post Enthusiast
    Level completed: 83%, Points required for next Level: 34
    Overall activity: 20.0%
    Achievements:
    Flagship MemberThree FriendsPoster ChildVeteran5000 Experience Points
    Level
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: ThinkKillMeNow ThinkKillMeNow
    As far as android goes there is a program called Double Twist that will allow you to sink with iTunes.

Knowing others is intelligence; Knowing yourself is true wisdom.
    Mastering others is strength; Mastering yourself is true power.

Prestige 1
    Level completed: 84%, Points required for next Level: 32
    Overall activity: 10.0%
    Achievements:
    Flagship Member1 year registeredThree FriendsPoster Child10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Enteleki Enteleki
    Quote Originally Posted by SquidgeyFlint View Post
    So you can hear the difference b/n some lossless format and max encoding in an MP3?
    I don't know that I can, or that anyone can. I suppose it could depend on how good your speakers/headphones are and then probably with the highest-end equipment only. I have a couple of Magnepan M12s that I have had for about 15 years now. I spent a lot of time auditioning various set-ups and speakers (nice to live in a large metropolitan area with so many listening rooms available) and found these to be superior, even better than speakers many times their cost (YMMV). The clarity is amazing, so I might be able to tell the difference.

Since ReadyToPlay is going to charge me $1.30 per CD regardless of the format, so I might as well duplicate the quality of my CD since storage of these larger files is not an issue unless I'm mobile. If I'm mobile, then MP3 is fine since it's only in the car and the traffic/road noise intereferes.

I'll let you know what I find out if I pull the trigger.

This reminds me of the old debate about digital music when CDs first became popular. Some people claimed digital music lost something analog recordings captured. I heard it most often described as a loss of warmth. They believed that a stream of discrete ones and zeroes left gaps in the sound and that analog recordings best captured the continuous flow of sound. I suppose that's why there are still ADD and DDD recordings.

Elections are no longer a useful agent of change. Our politicians are
    corrupt because they are elected by a corrupt culture. Change the culture.

Squidge of the Seven Seas
    Level completed: 75%, Points required for next Level: 424
    Overall activity: 50.0%
    Achievements:
    VeteranYour first GroupOverdriveFlagship MemberCreated Blog entry
    Level
    Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: SquidgeyFlint SquidgeyFlint
    PSN ID: SquidgeyFlint SquidgeyFlint Steam ID: SquidgeyFlint
    Quote Originally Posted by Enteleki View Post
    This reminds me of the old debate about digital music when CDs first became popular. Some people claimed digital music lost something analog recordings captured. I heard it most often described as a loss of warmth. They believed that a stream of discrete ones and zeroes left gaps in the sound and that analog recordings best captured the continuous flow of sound.
    That and the argument about cables.

The reason why I asked the question about "if you can hear the difference" is that it sounds like you're going to go through a lot of trouble to have full access to your own music everywhere you want it if you rip them in a lossless format.