Discussion EnderCalendar Award
    The greater Lexington area of kiss my a**
    Level
    Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: flu13 flu13

What I don't get about Facebook

Preface: I am a grumpy old man.

What the heck is up with all of this stuff on Facebook?

"Here's a picture of a dog. Click Like if you know what this is!"

"Here's a pair of pants. Click like if you remember wearing these as a kid!"

"Say 'Mother May I' and then spell 'cup.' Share once you get the joke!"

Why? And why do people actually do it? I mean, no offense if you like this stuff and share this stuff, just wondering.

Edit: A warning - Whatever you say, my response will likely be, "Bah."
    You dumb bastard. It's not a schooner, it's a sailboat.

Prestige 1
    Level completed: 29%, Points required for next Level: 143
    Overall activity: 30.0%
    Achievements:
    Flagship MemberThree FriendsPoster Child5000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Level
    Gamer IDs

PSN ID: StratyMcStrat StratyMcStrat Steam ID: GeePers
    Yeah, Facebook is sort of an evil necessity. It's an easy way for me to microblog and share photos with family members since everyone uses it, but it's my least favorite social network. What drives me crazy is the other ways people use Facebook or their behavior.

You could post "Hey, I'm standing on the ledge thinking of jumping off" and no one would say anything.
    Yet if you posted 5 minutes later "Hey, I'm making brownies" then you'd get a 100 likes and maybe 20 comments with people saying dumb a$$ stuff like "Mmmm, can you email me some brownies???".

Or I've got a couple relatives who constantly post political stuff. I'll post hundreds of pictures of my kids and they'll never like or respond to any of them. Yet if I check into Chick-Fil-A once they'll be all over that post making crazy political comments.

I've had a couple friends battling through some serious medial stuff. One of them had hundreds of followers and anytime he would post a check in or something about his medical problems he'd get someone posting "Hey, what's wrong???". What do you mean what's wrong??? This is the 100th post he's made about having cancer. How can you say you follow and are friends with the dude and not know several months later that he has cancer?!

Prestige 1
    Level completed: 43%, Points required for next Level: 115
    Overall activity: 4.0%
    Achievements:
    Flagship MemberThree FriendsPoster Child1 year registeredTagger First Class
    Level
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: JanesAddicted JanesAddicted
    PSN ID: MissLilBoPeep MissLilBoPeep
    I'm a Facebook Voyeur. I post a couple times a year, but generally lurk and like or comment/respond to friends maybe on a monthly basis. I've had an account since before they opened outside of the College realm (work loophole back in the day) but I've never embraced it the way I see so many. I just don't want people to know that much about me, my life or my day to day. I hate it when I get tagged in a photo! Enemy of the State maybe...lol

Anyway, those silly "likes" and "shares" that I'm sure most of us have done, are all recorded and documented and turned into a personal social graph and then sold to companies like clients we work with so they can tap into a passionate fan.

The basics - Joe Facebook signs up and gives his basic geo and social details:

Joe Facebook
    Marital Status: Married
    Works at: cool tech company

So sure that's valuable. But after a while, Joe "likes" Titleist, Gillette, Dog Chow, and maybe Budweiser Beer. We're going to start to assume Joe is married, probably has a dog, and no kids. That is even MORE valuable to said clients and we find ways to engage Joe into their brands directly and sell more to him. (trust me my head hurts reading the things we put together - if you are interested and diving in have fun!).

There is a crap ton of stuff on FB and Twitter I consider white noise, worthless. But even those goofy Shares/Likes on the bad jokes are generating viral revenue for the people/companies who own those pages or content sources. There is data on how much a story is liked, shared, the viral growth and "stories" they generate from a feed of another user on every post! It's insane...

Sorry that can be mind-numbing, that's the nature of the conversations I'm exposed to day after day - it's really flipping cool when you think about how much we can gather on consumers nowadays and how specific things can get about a user (also really scary). Ever thought about how much the government is using Social Media...and I don't mean politicians

--Insert "Oh-so-clever and mature witticism" here--

Chatty Cathy
    Level completed: 12%, Points required for next Level: 176
    Overall activity: 47.0%
    Achievements:
    Poster ChildFlagship MemberOverdriveThree FriendsCreated Blog entry
    jersey shore, minus the hair gel and steroids.
    Level
    Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Lux Devil 67 Lux Devil 67
    PSN ID: LuxDevil67 LuxDevil67
    I use it because it kills time.
    "You have nice little berries" - Angel

Goober
    Level completed: 67%, Points required for next Level: 33
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Poster ChildFlagship MemberThree Friends1 year registered1000 Experience Points
    Level
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: D Eye D Eye
    PSN ID: Deye Deye
    Preface: I enjoy my privacy.

I think it is funny how so many people talk about invasion of privacy now and days and when I ask if they have a FB page they say yes. So you have no problem posting all those photos of what you did at the club last night with your friends and talk about how F*&%ed up you got last night but you don't like the government invading your privacy? Can it really be called invasion of privacy when you put your life on blast on FB? Slightly confusing. I don't have a FB page, twitter, and any of the other social media stuff that the cool kids do today and intend to keep it that way. I've seen wayyyyyyyy too many back doors that some people have used to find out what you do using FB and twitter especially. I also don't like the idea that anything I would put on those sites are used for exactly what Jane was talking about, being used to sell you stuff. That was not original intent of the content being put on the site. Plus how deep of a conversation can you really have with someone on there other than how cool brownies are?

Don't get me wrong though, I like my technology for entertainment purposes, not to monitor what I'm doing. I guess I'm one of those people that just don't get it, which is why I'm not on any of the social media sights. Here's a thought for everyone though, how many of those "Friends" on FB does someone really know like you would the friends you actually interact with face to face?

P.S. Postface: I also may be an escaped mental patient spewing my propaganda before they catch me.

This thread reminds me of a pretty funny book I bought a while ago. Click. This is not meant to advocate any kind of political view, just thought the author's sarcastic wit was funny.

Invented the Question Mark
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Achievements:
    Created Blog entryFlagship MemberOverdrivePoster ChildTagger First Class
    Awards:
    Discussion EnderCalendar Award
    The greater Lexington area of kiss my a**
    Level
    Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: flu13 flu13
    But brownies ARE pretty awesome.
    You dumb bastard. It's not a schooner, it's a sailboat.

Super Flash City Planner
    Level completed: 86%, Points required for next Level: 57
    Achievements:
    Flagship MemberThree FriendsCreated Blog entryTagger Second ClassPoster Child
    Level
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: McJeepers McJeepers
    Quote Originally Posted by Flu View Post
    But brownies ARE pretty awesome.
    "Like"

Could you email me some?

I'm in the same group as Jane. I rarely post, I just use it to kill time to check up and see what my friends and family are up to, simply because some of them are FB fanatics. I don't see the "harm" in it, but I don't care to use it all that much either.

EDIT: Oh, and I use it to pre-screen applications that I get for work. My personal favorites are the kids who take a picture of themselves giving the finger to the world. Can't tell you how often I see that.

Rest Home Warrior
    Level completed: 36%, Points required for next Level: 128
    Overall activity: 27.0%
    Achievements:
    Flagship MemberPoster ChildThree Friends1000 Experience Points1 year registered
    Level
    Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: FyreAngel26 FyreAngel26
    I'm a facebooker! My boss & grandma are on my page so it keeps me from over sharing the naughty things I do on the weekend, I save all of that for this site. I have very few friends & if someone posts the weird crap I change my settings to hide their "likes" or their pics. If you familiarize yourself with the settings you can filter out most of the crap. I don't friend people unless I really care about them. So whether they are posting about cookies, the Olympics, or bags of milk, I still like & comment & try to keep up with what they have going on. Also, I have a lot of privacy settings, so there isn't a lot you can find out unless I let you. Each one of my friends are tailored differently, so, for example, my coworkers can't see when I'm online in case I'm on at work. & for the posts that others don't need to see, I have a group for close friends. I guess what I'm getting at is that if you use the filtering options available your experience will be more enjoyable.

Sugar Daddy
    Level completed: 68%, Points required for next Level: 96
    Achievements:
    Flagship MemberThree FriendsPoster ChildTagger Second ClassCreated Blog entry
    Level
    Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: docRPMDDS docRPMDDS
    Preface: I usually don't give a crap what people think about me anymore.

However...
    Being a "professional" in the community means I should have some restraint in a local public forum.

So...
    Doc's Facebook Rule: if I have to filter what I say on Facebook so as not to offend you, I'm not making you my friend on Facebook. Which is why I only have 168 friends consisting of family, old/new friends, and some very select patients. The same people that would be welcome in my kitchen for a cup of tea or shot of rum anytime.

And I don't beFriend attention whores. There are all kinds of people out there as Flu mentioned that use FB as a sounding board, a soap box, or a therapy session. I wouldn't be hanging out with them in real life, so why clutter my online time with them?
    Last edited by rpmdds; 08-12-2012 at 08:40 PM.
    Doc

DTH - Recruitment and Orientation Officer
    No power can be abused long, mankind will not bear it...

Rest Home Warrior
    Level completed: 36%, Points required for next Level: 128
    Overall activity: 27.0%
    Achievements:
    Flagship MemberPoster ChildThree Friends1000 Experience Points1 year registered
    Level
    Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: FyreAngel26 FyreAngel26
    Well said doc!